Topic

Glacier Travel in the Wind River Range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Glacier Travel in the Wind River Range

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I am planning a high route trip with a friend in the Wind River Range. My glacier experience is limited to Glacier National Park. We plan to go in mid August and see a lot of Glaciers around Gannett peak and north. There are certainly routes that will avoid glaciers all together but I wouldn't mind exploring some of them. Is this out of the question without having rope along. I plan to carry side step crampons and an ice axe only.

I am specifically looking at Grasshopper Glacier and Sourdough at the moment but any advice on glacier travel at this time and place would be appreciated.

Thank you

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

If you haven't already I recommend you pick up the book " Beyond Trails in the Wind River Range Mountains" by Nancy Palister. It talks about routes and has some info on glacier travel. My glacier experience is limited to a little bit of Knifepoint glacier which is completely non technical.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Thank you, I think I will put a WTB in gear Swap. If not I will pick it up on Amazon.

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

Agreed on picking up the book. Wind River Range glaciers are not Alaska glaciers – they are generally non-technical. You'll be fine with that gear and a bit of research from the book, etc. Now, the storms that can spring up can be exciting! You'll have a great time…enjoy it!

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

I ordered the book this weekend and look forward to reading it. Currently the route that we would use to bypass the glaciers looks much more challenging then traveling across. That is of course in less we fell into one! We are definitely in need of more information so this should help.

Thank you,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools