Topic

Dyneema availibility

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dyneema availibility

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

Does anyone know of a good source now to buy 210d dyneema gridstop?

OWF stopped carrying it basically saying that the military is buying it all up.. seriously.

anyone got a source?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

No but let me know if you find one. it's been out of stock for a little while now.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Have you called Seattle Fabrics? Last time I was there they had a couple rolls.

It may well be true that it is being bought up though, that would make sense.

David Wills

@willspower3

The patriot act was one thing, but they can't seriously be buying all the dyneema!!!

If someone is 35, i would support their presidency under the "a dyneema backpack in every gear closet" campaign slogan. any takers?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was at Seattle Fabrics on Tuesday and asked about Dyneema and eVent fabric. They'd never heard of either one. Maybe when the military buys it they also do a memory flush?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

That is weird….because they had it last time I was there. Wonder if it was someone who didn't know their fabrics? Or who hadn't seen it before?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Thruhiker.com has gridstop.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

The only Dyneema I've heard of is sold here as a light line for hanging a bear bag.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Thru hiker has it now? THey used to have it but it's no longer on the website.

Eric Parsons

@ericp

no – the 210d fabric, its the Stuff Ula uses and Go-lite used to use. The dyneema is just the reinforcing grid in the fabric, its really nice material to work with.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Hi Eric,

check out:

http://tinyurl.com/2ctkqw

for an ebay auction for spectra(aka dyneema) 3.6 oz fabric. Even if this particular auction is over by the time you check, just search spectra fabric on ebay, as this guy usually has some up there. It's not grid stop, but it's the closest I've seen and it's not super heavy. Note: the auction price is per 10 linear inches so this stuff isn't cheap.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Eric,

How much do you need and what do you want to do with it?

Thanks.
    Bill

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Hey Devin,
    Thanks for the link – actually that is cheap for 100% spectra fabric.
    I asked Dan Mchale once if I could buy some of his 100% dyneema from him and he quoted me $120 a yard… !woah!

Bill, thanks but I'm looking for a bunch (10yds maybe) for future projects and to sell some things.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Cilogear might be worth contacting also. He produces a 45 liter pack made almost solely out of woven Dyneema for the low, low price of only $675.

dyneema [at] cilogear.com
    http://www.cilogear.com/

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Those are nice climbing packs for sure.
    But working with $120 yd fabric is out of my league right now. I had hard enough time cutting into $30/yd goretex xcr.

Graham Williams

@crackers

>Those are nice climbing packs for sure.

Thanks. And thanks for the linkage above.

The material is crazy. But, it's $120 a yard…it's insane, but the packs are really incredibly durable, and lighter than if I made them with a 210 cordura with a dyneema ripstop. And the material is 200psi waterproof.

I can't promise anything, but you might well see the 210d cordura with the dyneema ripstop available by spring again. I don't think it will be widely available, but I'll let you know if it happens.

The availability (or lack thereof) of the 210d cordura with dyneema ripstop had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the military. Who ever is saying that either doesn't know what they're talking about, or is blaming the military because they felt like it was convenient to blame the military for anything they didn't like.

I work pretty closely with DSM, and they have plenty production lines in North Carolina dedicated to the civilian market. There is plenty of Dyneema available right now.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

has anyone found a source? It shouldnt be expensive as I can buy 500D spectra from rockywoods for $16/yd.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

The 500d spectra you're talking about is only spectra fibers strengthening the fabric. The stuff crackers is talking about is full spectra/dyneema. Way more $$$.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Christopher, what I am looking for is 210d dyneema gridstop that ULA and Golite uses. Not full dyneema.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Ah gottcha. That stuff has been out of stock for a while now ;( Eventually I suspect it will come back.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools