Topic

Arkansas Hike…..Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Arkansas Hike…..Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I am trying to plan a quick trip in Arkansas this weekend, and (to make to people going with me happy) I have a few requirements for this hike. It needs to have something "really cool" (ie. water fall), and it needs to be from 8-13mi.

I have been looking at the caney creek trail to katy falls and meeting it up with the Buckeye Mountain trail for a total of 9.6 mi, or the Spainhour/Lucy/Aspen Falls trail which is 8.2 mi (both of these are out of the Tim Ernst "Arkansas Waterfalls Guidebook" p 204 and 132 respectively).

Anyone ever done either of these trails and have any ideas? One of the things I'm worried about is the creek crossings that both of these trails have. We haven't had any significant rain in well over a week, but I know that we had quite a bit a couple of weeks ago.

Let me know opinions or other ideas.

P.S. The other people in my party are new to backpacking and will be on one of their first overnight backpacking trips….if not their very first! I'm pumped!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I've done the Buckeye Trail/Caney Creek Trail and the waterfall their is nice, not spectacular. Great for a beginner trip. The water crossings are no big deal to me. The Dallas Sierra Club takes beginners there every year.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools