Topic

Beanie – merino vs fleece?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Beanie – merino vs fleece?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Dihnekis
    Spectator

@dihnekis

Which do you prefer? I've got a polartec microfleece beanie, a smartwool beanie, and a turtle fur merino beanie with a polyester liner. I haven't decided which one I like the most. What does everyoe prefer when it comes to beanies?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

"What does everyone prefer when it comes to beanies?"

Well I actually prefer my cheapo, double-layer acrylic beanie to any other I've used. I rely on unfolding the ear band to cover my nose when I sleep because – you guessed it – I get a cold nose.

With my merino beanies my nose stays colder than with the acrylic – I think it's the "looseness" of the weave vs my acrylic. It seems to allow better moisture transfer (from my breath) than wool or fleece too, so that helps with warmth.

If I had to pick wool or fleece though, it would be fleece. I hate to say it since I love merino, but that's what works best for me.

Matt V
    BPL Member

@mv45

Locale: Colorado

I use a double-layer acrylic beanie most of the time. I think it was $10 at Target. But I'm looking for something warmer and maybe lighter.

Outdoor Research makes a down beanie, but it seems like the nylon fabric might trap moisture? There are also down hoods made by a few companies, but those are overkill outside of winter, unless it's a part of your sleep system.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Merino for sleeping in, but it's not good for active use here. Maybe in colder and drier climates. I like to turn a Smartwool training beanie around so it covers my eyes, and even use it at home since I sleep during the day.
    For active wear, I like the UA Artic Beanie II, but frankly my acrylic beanies from Patagonia and Carharrt move moisture as well as anything, and are warm. They're bulkier, though, so tend to be relegated to casual wear and for under a hardhat at work, respectively.
    Regardless, it has to be pretty cold, like highs in the teens, for me to wear anything more than a regular Buff while actually hiking.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

"turtle fur merino beanie with a polyester liner" — pretty sure Turtle Fur is acrylic fleece, actually.

Wool and acrylic seem less static-y to me than polyester fleece, wool considerably less and acrylic just a little, but I have no science to back that up.

I personally couldn't get used to wearing a down beanie–the swooshy sound of nylon right next to my ears impeded sleep. Much worse than with a hood for whatever reason.

For extreme cold I like those double-layer wool military surplus toques–with the brim rolled it's 4 layers of thick wool covering your ears. But in warmer temps those hats are itch-factories.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

While hiking, I prefer Merino (Smartwool Training Beanie or Icebreaker Chase). To keep my head warm in colder temps, I have a Microfleece Beanie that covers the ears (picked it up a thrift store). Its a warmer beanie than the other two.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

honestly, as a lifelong chicagoan I have used A LOT of hats in a lot of situations. I have to say that the Black Rock Gear hadron s (or the original as well) is the best darned beanie I've ever used.

Granted, I prefer this turtle fur monstrosity that is awesomely cute and obnoxious for non-weight important situations, but for bike commuting in the winter (yes – worked GREAT under my helmet!), standing at bus or train stops in the chicago chill, and even shoulder season hiking/sleeping it is my absolute go-to.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

My goto is an Eddie Bauer Windcutter Fleece my wife got me years ago. I always have a cap for hiking in when it is warmer and a down hoodie for sleeping or camp and this is the perfect in between.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

My fleece beanie is warmer and more wind wind resistant than my merino wool beanies. It is also heavier. I take the one that best matches the conditions I expect on a specific trip.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Cap4 for light weight, compact stowing, wicking and breathabilty.

I don't cold camp much and I think that is the question. If you're doing high altitude and winter stuff, a heavier but warmer beanie is justified.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

Whatever the insulation, make sure it's windproof. Neither Merino nor fleece cut much wind

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

If theres any chance of it being a wet environment

Merino takes forever to dry if its constantly damp

As to windproof … Windproof beanies take longer to dry than straight fleece ..

;)

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

I've found that fleece cuts wind well enough and keeps the head warm, especially if there's ear coverage. What I like about the thin Merino beanies (especially the Icebreaker Chase)is that its breathable enough to wear it on hot days for sun protection and sweat control, and under most any hat to add warmth.

photo IcebreakerChasesmall.jpg

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

for general 3 season hiking I like merino (Ibex Indie), weighs 0.8 oz, fits well and is warm- for more active pursuits I like my Cap 4 beanie, also fits well and breathes better/dries faster, but not quite as warm as the merino

for cold weather I have a Black Rock down beanie

sebastien h
    BPL Member

@sebastien-heritier

Hi Owen

Is that the ” smartwool training beanie ” you were speaking about?

http://www.smartwool.com/shop/women-accessories-trainingbeanies/nts-mid-250-cuffed-beanie-sw0sw956?variationId=001

Do you know its weight?

Thanks

Marc-André Hernandez
    BPL Member

@march-2

Locale: Québec, Canada

I usually backpack with a hooded vest of some sort with me. Houdini, alpine lite, etc. And when I cold camp, I bring a EE hood for sleeping. With that said, I prefer to wear a light merino beanie and just layer what is needed. Light, ok in hotter weather, breathe well. Works for me.

jh
    Spectator

@woodpewee

I use a thin merino beanie for day hiking, but take a zpacks microfleece beanie for any multi- or overnight backpacking. To me it seems to offer better performance warmth/weight and quick drying. It lets wind through, which is great for cold/rainy hiking. For sleeping, I put another layer of 100 weight fleece over it (melanzana hoody) and if it’s approaching 20 F, I put a stuffsack on my head underneath the two layers of fleece. I tried this out on a night when the temp dipped well below what I was expecting, and it worked so well that It’s just become my standard practice.

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

Slightly OT, but which Polartec fabric does Patagonia Cap 4 most resemble? I see that Cap 4 is made by Polartec, so assume that I could buy a similar fabric from them for MYOG.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Cap4 is one of the polartec Powerdry HE variants.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools