Topic

UL wheeled backpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL wheeled backpack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Victor Lin
    BPL Member

@babybunny

I've got an old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone with 3400-3800 CU IN of space. 3lb.

I travel a lot internationally for extended periods of time with many different activities in between and I'm finding it pretty difficult to lug all of my stuff around on my back now. Weighs a lot. I need to get the weight off of my shoulders and on some wheels but I still want to be able to carry it on my shoulders if I need the mobility.

Can anyone recommend an ultralight wheeled backpack with the same amount of space as my old Granite Gear? Preferably one where I can take off the wheels and stow them somewhere if I actually want to take the pack on the trail?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Why not just get a wheeled travel cart and strap your pack to it for travel?

Victor Lin
    BPL Member

@babybunny

That's a good idea. But then I need a way or a place to stow the travel cart when I fly. I suppose I could bring it on as carry-on.

Any recommendations?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

30L on the boxy pack for carryon, but you can add capacity using cylinders… "You can mount two above the corocase to have a total capacity of 75 liters. Or mount four cylinders to the frame for a huge 90 liter capacity for hunting treks."

http://www.metrowild.com/

Made by the same person as Luxurylite packs, which are about the most comfortable carry I've had in a pack.

(edit to clarify, since I've mentioned Luxurylite recently in posts: I have no connection with the company other than the fact that I've used their pack, which I purchased on the cheap years ago on a scratch'n'dent sale)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Victor I think you'll be better off with a lightweight folding wheeled cart frame + a good pack. Integrating wheels and frame into a carry on costs a lot of internal space. It also results in a much heavier bag that's less comfortable to carry. I use an MEI carry on – only 3 1/2 pounds for amazing use of space, super comfortable hideaway shoulder and hip belts, full suspension and tough cordura fabric. I'm sure you can find a lightweight wheeled folding cart to combine with a carryon like this.

Bruce Warren
    BPL Member

@aimee-2

Victor, You describe a travel style that is precisely what I was targeting when I was designing the MetroWild pack. Being not young anymore, I want to easily alternate wheeled bag and backpack. But I did not want a weight penalty. The airlines are getting so picky about size and weight that flying now has a lot in common with ultralight backpacking. I am wondering when they are going to start weighing each customer and charge extra for anyone over 200lbs?

Bruce Warren
    BPL Member

@aimee-2

For many years I flew to demos with folding travel cart with a backpack hooked on. But when you put the pack on your back, that 5lb cart is sticking out on the back of the pack and whacks people. So then I bought a normal wheelie bag with the telescoping handle and added shoulder straps. It was OK in small airports, but Dallas connections hurt so I added a waist belt. And that made it not fit in the size check bin.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This is a re-post of comments I made on the Flash Review of the Metro Wild: One aspect that was not mentioned about this pack is that it transfers 100% of the weight to the hips. My gf has a rotator cuff injury which means that she cannot have ANY weight on her shoulders. This was the only lightweight solution/backpack that I could find for her that put zero weight on her shoulders. I have taken my gf out on two overnighter trips with a load of about 15 lbs collectively covering about 25 to 30 miles overall and a few of those off trail in the 5 Lakes Basin area near Lake Tahoe, CA. No problems with the pack coming out of the hook belt. Note: this was with the Stackpack which is the same frame without the Corobox and just two of the soft side cylinders. Back in July, I went with my gf to Panama to visit her family and used the MetroWild, which was given to me to borrow so I could be a tester for Bruce/owner of the company. I solely used it as a carry on/roller luggage. It works well enough as a carry on, but given that it is fulfilling two roles as backpack and luggage it is adequate in both roles but not stellar in either one. Glad that the lid has been redesigned, because it was driving me a little nuts because it took a little bit of effort to close it and to get the lid perfectly lined up…..I am kinda anal about that sort of thing. :) Overall, I think that the Stackpack and Metro Wild are unique solutions to problems that might not come up all that often. If you are like my gf and cannot have any weight/pressure on your shoulders, this might be the only solution out there that is lightweight vs. the traditional external frame packs, which this is. If you are traveling by plane and need a solution for carry on luggage and then going right to the trail, then this would work too. Unique situations to say the least. Overall, it is a solid concept, but I do feel that the pack could use some refinements to make it better. Shoulder strap and hip belt pockets might be nice. The front chest water bottle holder again is unique and would just be something that my gf would have to try to see if that works for her. Emailing Bruce has been a pleasure as he has been very responsive and eager to answer questions and offer advice on how best to use his products. Looking forward to seeing how his packs evolve in the future. Tony

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools