Topic

Hiking skirt from pants

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedMay 1, 2015 at 7:00 am

I'm not a very good seamstress but here's my attempt at a hiking shirt made from a pair of pants. These were Ex-Officio capris that I found at the thrift store. Like all ladies hiking "fashion", it was more fashion than function. What it did have going for it was the high quality of Ex-Officio products, their dry-feeling nylon fabric and actual functioning decent pockets. But like many ladies clothing products, they were too tight in the thigh for any real activity for a lady with generous thighs like me.

I followed instructions found online for making a skirt from a pair of jeans. I found a shirt in a free box for the white part. I sort of made it off center a bit to make it look less obviously like it used to be a pair of pants. I might add some kind of decoration or something. A test walking up the stairs proved these are generous enough for hiking. I could climb over a fallen tree no problem.

Skirt from pants

GKLott BPL Member
PostedMay 4, 2015 at 1:30 pm

That's neat. How long is the skirt and what is the weight?

PostedMay 4, 2015 at 7:43 pm

I don't know the weight. Whatever it is, it is less than pants or capris because it's shorter than the original. I don't think a skirt should be all that light unless it's longer, otherwise it'll just fly up in the wind.

It's knee-length or a little shorter.

Seemed like a really easy way to make a hiking skirt with lots of decent pockets without having to sew complicated things like waist bands, zippers and pockets. And an easy way to take a pair of pants that were too tight in the legs and make it wearable.

GKLott BPL Member
PostedMay 6, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Like your length. I keep mine a bit shorter because I do not like the hem to hit my knee when walking.

Your conversion looks like function with comfort. This is an practical conversion design. Thanks for sharing.

PostedMay 7, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Only the one bird is green. The others are white and blue.

I haven't hiked in my skirt yet, but I have worn it around town and hanging out. I'm happy it's not shorter because depending on how I sit or lay down it can ride up above my knee. I might actually prefer a slightly longer skirt.

PostedMay 26, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I tested my skirt on a backpack trail. The trail had some fairly overgrown portions and lots of poison oak. I had some knee-high gaiters I made from a pair of pants to protect me when conditions were bad. But most of the time the trail was good and I didn't have to wear them.

Hiking skirt and pancake rock

My main complaint is that the skirt is too short. It's very immodest when I sit–you see everything. If I sat at a picnic table it was okay but still bugs would fly up inside and bother me. So my next skirt will be longer and maybe slightly fuller to better hide my nethers.

My other complaint is that the fabric was hot. My next attempt will be thinner fabric.

Otherwise, I enjoyed wearing a skirt. The air flow is nice. It feels just like shorts. It's also fun.

I brought my homemade hurache sandals on this trip, too. I was glad I did. I hiked 16 miles in them on the last day because my other shoes were unbreathable and I was about to get bad ball-of-feet blisters. The huaraches saved me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...