Topic

Aluminum caldera cone with bushbuddy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Aluminum caldera cone with bushbuddy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dihnekis
    Spectator

@dihnekis

On the trail designs site they try to sell you the titri for wood burning. I already have a bushbuddy and I'm just looking to use the caldera cone as a windscreen basically. Is there a good reason I can't just use the aluminum version?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Yes, there's a great reason: the flames from the Bushbuddy will melt aluminum windscreens!

As an aside, I don't think a CC would work best for a Bushbuddy, anyway. It would have to be a pretty big cone.

Dihnekis
    Spectator

@dihnekis

I should have mentioned I'm thinking of using it inverted, so that the flames are pretty far away from the sides.

Daniel Sweeney
    BPL Member

@siskiyoudaniel

Locale: SWVA

", I don't think a CC would work best for a Bushbuddy, anyway. It would have to be a pretty big cone."

Agree. I've had good luck using natural wind breaks with the bushbuddy, I dont carry a specific windscreen for it. If you're using it where there's a lot of wind, bring some foil and a rubber band or string. Save your $. We talk a lot about site selection for shelter setup or sleeping… Site selection for cooking is the same thing… You're having to collect fuel so you're already practicing a bit of this thinking to use the BB.
    Cheers

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

You could check the cylindrical titanium windshields from Four Dog, see if any of them are the right dimensions for you.

http://fourdog.com/titanium-wind-screens/

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Gassifier wood burners like the Bushbuddy and Inferno insert for Tri Ti and Sidewinder Caldera Cones create a VERY hot burn due to burning off normally unburnt gasses given off in initial combustion.

That's why these stoves are either stainless steel (Bushbuddy) or ti. I have a ti Sidewinder and it burns extremely hot, leaving white ashes.

You could buy some titanium sheet from Titanium Goat and make a cone. This ti sheet can be rolled up, put in a Tyvek sleeve & stored in your backpack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools