Topic

10D vs 15D Fabric in Hammock Gear Quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 10D vs 15D Fabric in Hammock Gear Quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hiker 9
    BPL Member

@hiker9

Locale: Northern California

I will generally be in a mostly double walled tarp type tent (interior netting with silnylon floor).
    I am going to order a Burrow 20 LW quilt from Adam. I understand that the 15D is a little heavier and more durable. The lighter 10D might be feel better against my skin.
    I assume the 15d is probably more moisture resistant which is an advantage from humidity, dripping, etc.
    As far as body moisture goes is it better to have a less resistant fabric (10d) on both the top and bottom to transfer it through the quilt faster or more resistant (15d) to keep it out of the quilt more?
    Any good reason to have 10d on one side and 15d on the other?
    Am I just obsessing? Would there even be a noticeable difference between the two for any of this?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Am I just obsessing?"

Everyone coming to this site is obsessing.

Remain Calm, and Carry On.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

The difference is marginal. Always choose the lighter option.

Hiker 9
    BPL Member

@hiker9

Obsessing can be quite entertaining….

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I'd go with 10D. Unless there's a color I really like in 15D.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

If you are in a double wall tent, why are you worrying about the difference in just over an ounce?
    If what you are after i durability and more moisture resistance then an ounce is well worth it.

If you're trying to lower your base weight from 6 to 5 ponds, then an ounce or so might matter.

Hiker 9
    BPL Member

@hiker9

I am not that concerned with the ounce. More which is more practical regarding moisture issues, especially.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

HG was using 10D Argon fabric once upon a time. It does not have a great DWR so that wouldn't be my first choice between the two if its the most important feature. I'm not familiar with their 15d fabric. Ask them how it compares to the 10D in moisture resistance and that will help with your decision. The durability difference between the two will be negligible.

Ryan

Mark Parry
    Spectator

@markparry

Locale: Hawaiian Islands

I just ordered a Burrow 40+1oz wide half taper, purple/orange. I think those are both argon90/15d fabrics. I think it's going to weigh a couple ounces extra based on my fabric choices, not sure if that means 14oz or 16oz though. The wide size weight is not on the size chart, the extra fill adds weight as well as the extra width and the half taper.

Now I'm hoping it shows up as quickly as some of the hammock gear quilt orders posted on hammock forums recently…

UNRELATED TO Hammock Gear, I ordered two APEX quilts from a different/much less known cottage manufacturer 20 days ago and received a refund yesterday, I wish I knew ahead of time they weren't going to make them, the paypal refund e-mail was the only notice I received.

Hiker 9
    BPL Member

@hiker9

I certainly get that one. Some of us are burdened and blessed with the too much research thing. Good luck with your quilt. Sounds like an xlnt choice!

jh
    Spectator

@woodpewee

The same thing happened to me. When I ordered the website listed 2 weeks as the wait time. Over one month later I received a refund with a vague explanation. Was very disappointed. :(

(Again, this wasn't from HG or EE)

Just ordered a prodigy instead. :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools