Topic

Anyone know a good sea kayaking and canoeing forum?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Anyone know a good sea kayaking and canoeing forum?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Have a few questions I'd like to post to a good sea kayaking and canoeing forum, with sea kayaking the higher priority. Can anyone recommend a good forum?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

For building, trips, hook-ups, or technique? You appear to be in the SFBA. I'm happy to ask my uber-kayaking friends there, but a little more focused Q would get more focused answers.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Wow David, that was fast. At this point I'm trying to zero in on a light duty lightweight sock for light warmth (like NRS Hydroskins, for example) and a water shoe to pair with it for some planned coastal kayak day/short overnight trips, summer, early fall and late spring.

I love kayaking and canoeing, and have done some really nice multi-day Adirondacks canoe trips as well as coastal sea kayak day trips.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I shopped around for a while before settling on westcoastpaddler.com. It's mostly a CA, OR, WA, and BC forum, with some token AK stuff thrown in. But they are nice, mid-latitude paddling folk. Mostly Canadian, eh, so pretty polite. Not high traffic, but also not contentious.

Mostly sea kayak, though they tolerate some of my packrafting posts.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Paddling.net has a popular forum.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

EJ,

For paddling in the SF Bay Area, there are two clubs with active forums, group paddles, and rescue practices. For the mid-peninsula and north to Marin area, check out the Bay Area Sea Kayakers (BASK). For the mid-peninsula and south to Monterey area, check out the Western Sea Kayakers (WSK).

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Paddling.net +1.

People over there are polite and helpful. Interesting articles too.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thanks Philip, John, Ian and Richard. Richard I knew there were several local groups in our area, but it's good to attach names to them – I'll look them up.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

If you get to the Great Lakes there are many clubs to choose from:
    • Bradstreet Sea Kayakers
    • Cherry Capital Paddle America Club – CCPAC was formed in 1998 to promote the sport of kayaking and canoeing through the sponsorship of educational clinics, recreational paddle events, and symposia on safe kayaking and canoeing.
    • Chicago Area Sea Kayaking Association
    • Great Lakes Kayak Club – A club for sea kayakers paddling the Great Lakes and Inland waterways.
    • Great Lakes Sea Kayak Association
    • Great Lakes Sea Kayak Club – The Great Lakes Sea Kayak Club puts on the oldest and largest Symposium each year. It's in Grand Marais, Michigan July 14-17, 2005 –
    • Great Lakes Sea Kayak Page – Listings of clubs, retailers, destinations, and events in the Great Lakes region.
    • Great Lakes Sea Kayaking Club
    • Inland Sea Kayakers – A chapter of the Minnesota Canoe Association, Inland Sea Kayakers has monthly program meetings, a weekly Wednesday evening rendezvous on Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis (in season), and trips to Lake Superior, Voyageurs National Park, Lake Mille Lacs, and other inland lakes and rivers. The ISK site includes weather links, including surface temperature maps of the Great Lakes, links to other club sites, and pictorial reports of club events.
    • Peninsula Paddlers Kayak Club – We are a diverse group of individuals from all over Ontario's Niagara region with a passion for sea kayaking.
    • Prarie Coast Paddlers (Chicago Area)
    • RASKAL – Racine Area Sea Kayakers Association
    • River Ninja Club – This group meets via the internet to discuss the various aspects of paddling/kayaking the Missouri River.
    • Rochester Sea Kayakers – Weekly paddling on Wednesday nights; meetings/presentations 2nd Wed of each month; workshops on paddling, safety and rescue, maps & navigation, strength training, GPS, equipment; kayak camping gear; paddle day trips to local waters, trips to North Shore of Superior, Apostle Islands, Voyageurs, etc…
    • SKOAC (Superior Kayak & Outdoor Adventure Club) – Based in the Twin Cities, the Superior Kayak & Outdoor Adventure Club is a group of around 150 paddlers dedicated to fostering a supportive, educational environment for those interested in sea kayaking and other outdoor endeavors
    • Two Harbors Kayak Festival – Festival held first weekend in August at Two Harbors, MN. Marathon race, classes, guided tours, demo beach, seminars, kids activities and a whole lot more!
    • West Michigan Coastal Kayakers Association – The West Michigan Coastal Kayakers Association is a group of approximately 150 paddlers located primarily in the state of Michigan. The club conducts several events each year, including group outings at Ludington State Park, an annual symposium, pool sessions, and "Kayaking for Light."
    • Wisconsin Hoofers Outing Club – An outdoors club, located in Madison, WI, offering member-lead trips and instruction in sea kayaking. Boat use included for all club trips.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Wow Ken, thanks, looks like there's good reason for calling them The Great Lakes. Amazing list, thank you. Have family and friends in Michigan, would be fun to check out a local group when visiting. Of those, which have the most active forums?

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

FoldingKayaks.org is one which focused more on portable kayaks. They still treat their kayaks like cars, but there are elements of "ultralight" on some of the trips, like one person's trip in the Caribbean in a Feathecraft Big Kahuna. But the lack of room in his kayak and weight restriction on the airliners forced him to be ultralight.

West Coast Paddler is an awesome forum. The people I met in Victoria were very nice. Too bad by the time I saved up enough for a kayak… I ended up relocating for a job.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools