Topic

New Paradox Unaweep Packs — Divide & Exposure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Paradox Unaweep Packs — Divide & Exposure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

divide

Looks like Paradox is coming out with new pack bags for their Unaweep platform.

Divide 3000ci
    http://store.seekoutside.com/divide-3000-light-gray-x21rc/

Divide 4200ci
    http://store.seekoutside.com/divide-4200-light-gray-x21rc/

Exposure 4500ci panel-loader
    http://store.seekoutside.com/unaweep-exposure-panel-loader/

I'm really interested in the 70L Divide. For less than 3lbs, you get a truly waterproof load hauler that's capable of weekend trips, long trips without resupply, and hunting. And, they look much more clean than the previous Unaweeps.

Anyone have any experience with these new packs? Dave Chenault?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

The Divide was only announced a couple of weeks ago and only went on sale a couple of days ago. I think they might not even ship until June. If you get feedback it will probably be on a prototype.

It will probably carry just like a Unaweep (i.e., well) with the only functional difference on the Divide being stretch/taller bottle pockets and the integrated rear stretch mesh pocket (instead of an accessory talon). The other differences are pretty minute, it seems. Stuff like slightly different tubing on the frame, different fabric choices, maybe a tweaked yoke/hip belt, removable straps, etc.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I'm confused by the panel loader. The poor pictures don't help. From their description, it sounds like it isn't a panel loader, but rather a "dual compartment" pack, with a bottom compartment.

A true panel loader, with zippers to open it out clamshell or similar, would start to get me very interested. Be handy for work purposes to have that module…being able to pack in UAVs, batteries, and associated gear to get into hard to reach by vehicle launch sites, travelling OS with the gear, etc.

Then I could get another module (or make one(s) myself) for personal purposes.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

I sympathize with your frustration over SO's inexplicable inability to provide even the most rudimentary pictures of their products on their web store. If I didn't know they wanted to sell their products, I would think they had no interest in selling their products. :)

Anyway, you can see better pics on their message board (sorry about the huge pic, but it's straight off their site):

Unaweep Exposure thread

As you can see, it is a panel loader with a huge over-the-top clamshell zipper, with another small front zippered pocket.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Kyle, I haven't seen either model in person. The Divide is intended to have backpacker-ish dimensions and features. The Exposure is a clamshell style bag.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Thanks Philip!

Yep…its kinda like they think random tiny pictures of packs are good enough to sell their packs…

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Am I the only one who sees the Divide is only for backs up to 19". What if you're taller ? Or am I misinterpreting this ?

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

From their web site:
    Fitting
    •Torso 14 – 19 without extensions
    •Extensions add 2 -4 inches of upper end torso
    •One size harness with daisy chains
    •Several hipbelt size options. Hip belts are interchangable.

Frame Height:
    •Designed for 24 inch frame ( we feel this provides good load carriage to 50 lbs for most people up to 6 ft tall)
    •Extensions can add 2 – 4 inches to frame height and provide better load lift for heavy loads and taller users (Example most people 6'6 " use 4 inch extensions)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I wonder how the stretch fabric on the packets compares to other packs. I have found some mesh to be durable but the stretchy stuff used by others (ULA, older GG Gorilla,etc ) to not be durable off trail in brush or sandstone/granite.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Can anyone with a longer back then 20" tell how the extensions work and how effective they are in taking the load of your back ? As I am 6' tall, but have 23" back.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

They work very well. I wear size 'tall' HMG packs (the longest back panel length of 23") and even then the shoulder straps aren't quite horizontal on top. With my Unaweep pack, even with only the medium (2") extensions, I easily get a 45 degree angle on the load lifters. If I went to the 4" Unaweep extensions, the load lifters would go about vertical. Plus you have about 1" of adjustment via which position you use on the hip-belt/frame hanger. You can drop or raise the entire pack (including the height of the top of the frame) depending on which grommet you use at the waist belt. I personally prefer the pack in the lower position, but my point is there are more options than you may think for pack fitting. You'd pretty much have to be a freak of nature for one of the available back panel lengths not to suit you.

The down side of all that adjustment is that it can take a while to get the pack dialed in. There are a lot of (potentially) moving parts.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Divide

How comfortable/stable would it be to have a heavily loaded bear can that far away from your center of gravity? I am going to have a 32lb load and 19 pounds of it will be in the canister. Would that be an awkward carry over talus? Otherwise, that seems like an easy way to carry a bear can.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Well, I sure wouldn't do that with a bear can full of food – all that weight so far back from my center of gravity is not my idea of stability. But if you had just the empty can back there so that you can pack the food more conveniently in the pack, or if you put something light but voluminous in the can and had the food in the pack, then maybe. But awkward in many situations regardless how much weight is in it.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

It's reasonably comfortable to carry your fully-loaded bear canister on top, held down with the "over the top" strap. It's stable, and close to your center of gravity. That's what I do.

I agree with the previous member that, when full, having it on the bottom of the pack would not be ideal.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools