Topic

Even-feed (walking) foot accessory works great on my machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Even-feed (walking) foot accessory works great on my machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

My machine is a current-model Singer Heavy Duty (4452). It's been mediocre with 30D silnylon fabrics. It requires a high tension setting and lots of careful hand-tensioning of the fabric while sewing. And I'd still routinely get inconsistent stitches along a long run.

Then I bought the Singer walking foot accessory whim (I only need a zipper foot, but hey, this is only 20x the cost). It works amazing well on my machine with 30D sil! Did the first straight stitch of a felled ridgeline with only 3 pins and it was a nicer looking straight stitch than any I'd made yet. No holding the fabric behind the needle, just lightly holding in alignment and letting the machine move it.

Sharing because I'd read on here and other forums that the walking foot accessory was probably a waste for light fabrics, so I'd skipped it. Well at least for my machine, it works. It might make me a cheater, or be a crutch, but for now it's staying on the machine.

Gary Yelland
    Spectator

@tacblades

I have a walking foot for an old brother vintage. They do work well, but sometimes I fine a standard foot works better. I use walking foot for silnylon mainly

I fing them a bit bulky for precision stitching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools