Topic

Needle feed – worth it for UL fabrics?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Needle feed – worth it for UL fabrics?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new sewing machine after my old one gave up the ghost(long story). The type of materials I usually sew are silnylon, cuben, nano-see-um, etc. All very thin stuff that can be a little difficult to manage. So, I've been looking at a Juki DDL8700 which is a proven performer on UL fabrics, or for a little more money I've considered picking up a needle feed machine. A lot of people on the 'net heap gobs of praise on needle feed machines when working with silnylon, but I can't find anyone locally that has experience with them. Anyone have an opinion? All input is welcome. Thanks in advance!

If your not familiar with this type of machine, here is an example: http://tinyurl.com/mkwmd2v

Ryan

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Well …
    I don't think many of the MYOG people here have a needle feed machine, yet there are plenty of good MYOG productions.
    A commercial needle feed machine could be rather fast – that may be a bit tricky for someone new to sewing. I am happy going at a moderate speed. But, ymmv.
    On the other hand, if the price is right?

Cheers

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Helpful, especially in having even stitches, I use one, but some of my contractors do not and they sew beautiful stuff.

You still need experience and acquired motor skills to sew slippery or sticky fabrics tho.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

In regards to speed, you can get servo motors with pretty much any industrial machine, and I highly recommend them for a number of reasons. Among those is that there's a dial on the motor controlling the maximum speed.

Technically clutch motors can have their maximum speed changed as well, but you have to swap out pulleys – not nearly as easy as with the servos.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Dave – thanks for comments. Yeah, experience needed!

Cheers

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Thanks for the comments everyone. The needle feed option is a little more money, but I may just give it a shot.

Ryan

Ryan K
    Spectator

@thesergeant

Locale: Ryan

You'll dig the needle feed system. I'm assuming you're looking at the Juki 5410N? I've used it and it's a very smooth and capable machine. The needle feed systems are great because you can run them with relatively low pressure foot tension for the thin stuff and they'll still feed very consistently. I have several industrial machines, one of which is a Brother double needle needle feed machine and it handles all material weights wonderfully and is super smooth. I don't think you'll regret the purchase. Goodluck!

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Another option is a machine with a built in walking foot, like a phaff. I've been using an old phaff 1222se that I bought 20 years ago, used. Similar to a needle feed in function.

Steve

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

I have a Juki DLN-5410 and a Highlead, both needle feed machines, and I love them for the thin/light stuff.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

I've been looking at the Juki DLN-5410 and the Reliable MSK-8210M(which oddly enough looks exactly like the Highlead GC0518). I wonder which one is the clone? I've pretty much decided on going the needle feed route. Now just have to find a solid used one or a good deal on a new one.

Ryan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools