Topic

Tenkara

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

Which company to buy from? I am looking at getting into fly fishing. I looked on the internet and there are a few companies that sell different sets of the Tenkara rods. Can someone recommend a type of rod to start with and set up for the Sierras.
    Thanks
    Eric

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

As a result of searching BPL and reading about recommendations to others, what companies and rods do you have questions about?

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

There are more choices now than a few year back, but I'd still say a 12' Iwana from TenkaraUSA would be perfect for the sierra, as well as a perfect intro.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/110

It is kind of the tenkara version of the 5wt 9' conventional fly rod – the "do it all ok" rod.

FWIW there are some cheaper rods with the approximate length and action of the Iwana on ebay for about $40, but they are heavier. If spending about $200 for a full setup with a great rod is not an issue I'd get the Iwana package. You definitely will have no cause to be disappointed. Just be careful – that rod has been a gateway drug into tenkara for numberless victims, including me!

There are already a couple or three threads on here about flies people use in the sierra,but get half a dozen types and you will be all set for the sierra. Such as #16 Elk Hair Caddis and Addams dries, #20 griffiths gnat, #14 black ant, some nymphs tied on about #18 or #20 hooks, and of course a few obligatory Kebari style flies for "authenticity".

Added: in addition to the rod you will want a spool of 4.5 or 3.5 level line. The only thing else you would need then is tippet which you can buy on amazon or in most stores. I'd recommend to start with just the 5x. If you are feeling cheeky drop some more money on a furled tapered line. They cast beautifully.

eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

Greg,
    When looking at the different types of rods and equipment the prices vary. I am looking at
    http://dragontailtenkara.com/shadowfire-tenkara-rod/ vs.http://www.tenkararodco.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-teton.

Thanks
    Eric

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Eric, my two cents would be to compare the weights of the rods as one way to separate the sheep from the goats. After the length and action that is the number one feature to look at. Weight matters (in most people's experience) a good bit in this style of fishing. Usually there is an inverse relationship between weight and price, light materials are more expensive and require more skill to make a good rod. Assuming you can actually trust the listed weights then I'd say between those two (all other things being equal) the one from Dragontail is better in that it is far lighter (1/2 oz which is huge and will feel completely different with such a long lever arm) AND cheaper.

FWIW Dragontail also has some of the nicest tapered lines. After Tenkarabum and TenkaraUSA I have bought the most stuff from them, and they seem like a good company.

After that, other than trying them out, I'd say look at the warranty – tips are easy to break.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Just a quick note – tippet line is often sold in small spools and at higher costs vs regular line. . You can buy regular 2lb or 4lb test line (depending on rod, fly, line you are using and fish you are after). I would recommend sticking to 2lb test as that's protection for your rod in case it's a strong fish or you hit a snag. 2Lb test doesn't mean it can only hold two pounds, most lines are actually stronger than stated on packaging.

You can always go with fluorocarbon instead of regular too.

R Y
    BPL Member

@rhyang

I started with a Tenkara USA Sato kit. They include everything but 5x tippet, which I also bought on their site, but you can find that at any fly shop or Sierra trading post even. It's been a great rod; I've used it to fish creeks and lakes in the high country and caught brookies, goldens and rainbows on it.

I did stop by the local Orvis and picked up some size 16 flies before my first trip though. I'm still not sold on the kebari thing :)

Tenkara USA has great warranty service too. Last October I managed to step on my Sato and break it while klutzing around after dark. They had replacement parts shipped to me within three days for $17 and it was an easy fix.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Yes, warranty is definitely important. However, keep in mind that while TenkaraUSA will sell you a part, there is a number of other companies who will just fix it or replace the rod for free. Either for the lifetime of the rod or first time break only.

But honestly – if you are careful, breakage wouldn't be my biggest concern. Nothing last forever and if you get a fair share use of it before something happens to it – then it served its purpose. Carbon fiber is susceptible so specific types of failures (forces at sharp angles to the fabric and fibers within it).

Also not all carbon fiber is created equal. There are several manufacturers producing higher quality products. What maters is not only the quality of the original fibers, but the fabric and epoxy used to make it a rigid object.

There is a reason why ocean and even fresh water spin rods are mostly made from fiberglass – it is heavier, but also much sturdier against all kinds impacts and forces.

The lightest carbon fishing rods may signify a few things:
    1) superior quality rod with very advanced epoxies and meticulous production(mostly those whose full production cycle is done in Japan and they typically cost $250-$400)
    2) thinner carbon fiber layers due to reduced amount of epoxy or fewer "wraps" on thicker parts.
    3) trimmed finish and accessories such as winding checks, thinner handles (or complete absence of them), plastic or carbon plugs (vs aluminum), no swivel on the tip; minimal finish of the blanks (thin clear coat or just lightly polished epoxy )

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Light is light, as long as the rod is not too fragile. I usually look on those "missing" characteristics as a feature, not a deficit. If you can get lighter without paying for it, as you will (usually) be leaving out features and construction methods of dubious value for the actual fishing experience, then that is a big positive in my book. I say this as a person who once splurged and bought one of those nice Japanese rods you mention – an absolutely gorgeous 14.5' DAIWA Enshou. Its a work of art, but it that doesn't help in any way catching fish. In fact I don't think I would have the heart to take that one on a backpacking trip.

You can also spend (too much) $$ on light as well. My Helios 2, for example is about the lightest model western fly rod there is and it has only a single lock nut, which itself has "holes"in it – the Orvis version of drilling holes in your toothbrush I guess. Anyway, it cracks me up! Frankly I prefer a nice inexpensive rod with soul that you don't have to baby. So I still say go with the cheaper lighter rod if this is your first one. Better experience all around, most likely.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Yuri said –
    "I would recommend sticking to 2lb test as that's protection for your rod in case it's a strong fish or you hit a snag."

TenkaraUSA recommends and sells "5X" (~5 pounds coincidentally). Tippet "protects" a rod by breaking before the rod's design strength. If presentation is not crucial, as in typical tenkara, going with the maximum recommended tippet will reduce breakoffs that leave a hook in the fish, often with 4' of tippet.

5X is typical for most rods. (Shorter, lighter "small brook" rods may recommend a lighter tippet.)

And, Yuri, you posted "Tenkara Pro is a new, small outfit dedicated to tenkara gear. We sell rods, lines, flies and other accessories."

You need to make some sort of affiliation disclosure in all of your posts. An easy way to do that is by placing your Company Name or Website in the "Locale" of your profile.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I guess i can, but I don't specifically mention the name of our company in other threads in order not to raise any eyebrows. Just trying to stick to the rules. It's really a separate discussion we need to have with moderators to know what is acceptable – plugging names in threads where it could help someone discover alternatives? Is that advertising or being genuinely helpful?

If company name in Locale is acceptable I will put it there. I'll defer this decision to owners/moderators.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Yuri

> If company name in Locale is acceptable I will put it there.
    Yes, in a case like this we strongly encourage you to put your company affiliation in your locale.

We would also encourage you to give a 'disclosure' at the end of any *related* posting. Full transparency of any commercial interest is the key to our thinking.

That said, if you want to post something about tarps or stoves, unrelated to your business, you don't need to do a disclosure in that posting. Common sense rules.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Eric, you mentioned a couple of companies whose rods you were looking at, but I will put in another plug for the 12' Iwana from Tenkara USA. It was my first Tenkara rod, and I keep going back to it for its precision, ease of casting in light winds, and versatility for everything from 6" – 18" trout (and the occasionally snagged bullhead catfish…). It is a beautifully made rod and is a joy to use.

Lots of nice choices out there, but this is the one I use 80% of the time.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

When I decided to try Tenkara last year, I followed the advice here: http://tenkaraguides.com/the-ultimate-tenkara-starter-kit/.

I got my Iwana from eBay and saved a few bucks (sold by one of the big Tenkara dealers). I was very happy with the results. I did get a few more types of flies, based on recommendations here on BPL.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Dude, lots of great advice here, to which I have SO MUCH to add, but not enough time.

Instead, I'd point you to Tenkarabum.com where I learned a HUGE amount about tenkara.

Chris turned me into a better fisherman.

His site is pretty good, his customer service and shipping speed are excellent, and the products are also excellent.

I recommend rods made in japan by japanese companies, for the sake of quality. But the other options you discuss are great.

Just be aware that how you fish, how big the streams or rivers are, and what you want to catch will GREATLY affect the kind of rod and how you rig it.

Lots of people here to offer advice, but also check out tenkara-fisher.com, where you'll find a tenkara focused community willing to help.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

+1 on Tenkarabum as well as Jason Klass at Tenkara Talk. I've learned quite a bit through these sites.

In my experiences with fishing High Sierra streams so far (I'm new to tenkara but have fished western fly rods for years), I'd recommend a short rod. If I were targeting trophy fish, maybe a 12' rod. But for straightforward, food on the table fishing, I'm using an Iwana with the 9' handle conversion. Short and easy to get into tight spots. If I didn't have the 9' conversion, I'd be fishing it at 11'. I personally think a 12' is overkill for many streams up there.

2 (Photo Tom Kirchner)
    Given the majority of spots I'm fishing are like this, a long rod doesn't make much sense.

A pair for the pan.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools