Topic

0.5oz Noseeum

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
J-L BPL Member
PostedApr 20, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Haven't seen this posted yet, but Ripstop by the Roll now has 0.5oz noseeum. They call it NS50

I ordered a sample. The holes certainly seem fine enough for noseeum. The fabric is much softer than other netting I have used. It seems like it would drape well. I can stretch it a lot without causing any damage (I can create a small run by pulling super hard).

I had been using nylon tulle for net-tents, which weighs about 0.25 oz/sq yd or less. The tulle has blocked most bugs for me and has been successful overall, but this stuff might be a better choice if you have to deal with a lot of small bugs or want a little more durability.

Has anyone made anything out of it yet or tried sewing it?

PostedApr 20, 2015 at 6:39 pm

John, thanks for the info. I'm going to order some.

By the way, do you know what S2S uses to make their Nano nets? Super light material, but delicate…larger holes, not good for midges. Just curious.

J-L BPL Member
PostedApr 20, 2015 at 7:07 pm

I actually have one of the S2S Nano nets. I would guess it is just tulle of some sort. The holes/weave look almost identical to my nylon tulle from JoAnns

PostedApr 30, 2015 at 5:30 pm

There should be some build threads popping up soon. I've spoken to several folks and the feedback has been very positive thus far. We did send some pre-production samples out to cottage vendors for testing before moving forward and there weren't any issues.

As with any UL fabric, you do have to take some care when using it, but as you alluded to in your post, the NS50 is actually pretty tough. That was an important part of the development. I wanted to push the envelope on weight, but not sacrifice too much durability.

If anyone is looking to do a shelter soon and willing to use the NS50 and review, shoot me a message. I'll sponsor the project.

Thomas Conly BPL Member
PostedMay 22, 2015 at 11:10 am

So, I received several yards of the new lightweight no-see-um netting (NS50) from Ripstop by the Roll. Kyle over at RBTR gave me the netting free of charge in order to do a build and a review. I plan to make a one person net tent with it to go under a slightly shaped tarp, but I thought I would share my initial impressions first.

First and foremost, I suspect that people’s first question about the netting is probably: how durable is it? I have used no-see-um netting in 1.1oz, 0.9oz, and 0.67oz varieties from various suppliers. I have found the 0.67 netting to be noticeably less durable than the other nettings I’ve used, so I was a bit concerned about using 0.5oz netting. However, I have no concerns with the durability of the new netting. In fact, I feel more confident about the NS50 netting than the 0.67 netting I used for my last project.

One of the troubles with no-see-um netting is that if it gets pulled too hard or gets caught on something, like Velcro hooks or a zipper, it can get a run or it can tear. The NS50 has significantly more stretch than other nettings I’ve used which, I think, will make it more durable because it won’t pull apart as readily. That being said, the stretchiness of the netting will need to be taken into account when planning projects. NS50 would be ideal for draping over a hammock or as baffles in a sleeping bag. However, it may be less than ideal for applications that require the netting to take some tension. For instance, if you wanted to make a net tent with a catenary curve on the ridge seam, such as the MYOG net tent from Yama Mountain Gear, it probably wouldn’t work. I suspect that the seam would stretch enough that it would be difficult to get proper tension on that seam. That being said, you could make a net tent with a straight ridge seam and use a clothes line inside to take the stress of that seam instead of the netting.It is, however, very well suited for anything where a taught pitch isn’t critical.

Hopefully, I will be able to complete the tarp/tent soon. My goal is a one person, double wall shelter that you can sit up in, that weighs less than a pound. It should be possible with the lightweight materials I’m using. I'll post the a complete review and description of the project when I'm done.

PostedMay 24, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I was planning on ordering some of this for quilt baffling. Any reason to think it would cause issues vs. the 0.9 or the 0.67? I'm looking for absolute minimum weight! I'll report results when I get to finishing this project.

Thomas Conly BPL Member
PostedMay 24, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I wouldn't worry about using it as baffle material at all. It doesn't seem delicate at all really. Time will tell, but it's definitely more durable than the .67 netting I've used.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...