Topic

Warm drink vs Cold drink…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Warm drink vs Cold drink…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

There's been a lot of talk about staying warm, and why certain people were cold when their system seemed adequate for the given temperature. Many people have said that hydration and caloric consumption within an hour of bed makes a huge difference. Some people suggested drinking a warm cup of hot chocolate (or whatever).

My question is: Does it matter if you drink your drink cold versus heated up? I would imagine there is a psychological benefit to drinking a warm cup, but will that actually make a difference in how you sleep that night?

To make things simple, I like to bring one small Esbit tab for every night I'll be gone. This gives me enough fuel to heat my dinner, but not additional drinks before bed.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I imagine that you're wanting scientific data………I don't have it. However, I do know from personal experience that a hot drink keeps me warmer longer than a cold one. I warm up with light exercise, drink something hot (usually soup at night) and climb into my bag. If it is really cold I will heat enough water for cocoa, tea, instant soup, etc. for drinking with enough extra hot water for a Platypus and tuck that into the bag with me. Enough for morning coffee without having to melt snow.
    I'll even take the time at lunch to heat water and drink some jello if the temp warrants it.
    It may be psychological only, but it works for me.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've seen some scientific data that says a warm drink does little to improve your core temperature. I can't place the link right off the top of my head though.

That being said, anecdotatlly it improves people's outlook in many cases and their hydration which are two big steps to any situation going positively. I always have the stove with my wife. Warm drink with breakfast does wonders to entice her out of a sleeping bag for an alpine start ;)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And for just that reason in off season I drink hot beverages! I love the feeling of icy hands holding onto a hot cup. The heat sinks into me, my body warms up. Is it scientific? Who knows..but it does work for me :-)
    It also activates my appetite as well, something that I don't have much of in the cold, so a cup of herbal tea and 10 minutes later I am starving!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> a warm drink does little to improve your core temperature.
    This is true, but there is more to it than that.

Imagine that you are a bit cold, or maybe low on energy. Your body's reaction to this will be to restrict blood flow to your skin and concentrate it in your core, to make sure you stay alive. This is good of course, but it leaves you feeling cold.

Put a good mug of quite hot drink inside you. Now your core thinks it is a just a bit hotter than it should be, so it switches a lot of your blood flow outwards to your skin, even if just for a short while. This increased blood flow carries heat to your skin to get rid of the heat from your core.

But you don't really have a lot of temperature sensors inside your body: most of the ones you are conscious of are on your skin. So now you start to actually feel warm, because there is increased blood flow at your skin. So, deluded by this false feeling of warmth and joy, you leap out of bed into action.

Yes, both my wife and I start dinner with hot soup, and may have a hot drink with breakfast in winter too. The only problem – I have to get up to fire up the stove… :-)

Cheers

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

deleted

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I like hot drinks before bed and in the morning if possible…I never used to, but after a while I realised the small extra packweight and effort was totally worth it. Why? Well I'm out in the wilderness to enjoy it, not just to get through it. I love a nice cup of tea at any time, and wouln't be without it in the wilderness, unless I am in a situation where water neccessities restrict it. I will go without my pillow, queen-size bed, and showers, but I think a cuppa is weight well spent, whether physiologically or psychologically beneficial

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I must also admit to enjoying a hot buttered rum on some cold winter nights before I call it a night. Let's just call it rheumatize medicine.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

We often have hot drinks just to improve morale… we've been known to have an 8 day trip with 7 days of rain. We've travelled with freezing rain, snow, sleet… you name it. The comfort of a hot drink is a welcome treat on those miserable days.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Laurie

> We often have hot drinks just to improve morale… we've been known to have an 8 day trip with 7 days of rain.
    Yeah – and when the rain includes sleet and snow … :-)

Timothy Cristy

@tcristy

Locale: Ohio
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Roger wrote: "Yeah – and when the rain includes sleet and snow … :-)"

it also makes me feel better when I've been turtled earlier in the day because I slipped on a rock covered in wet snow/ice – lol not one of my more graceful moments

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

This past weekend a group of us were out doing trail construction on the North Country Trail and the temperatures were in the high 30s F as the sun went down Saturday night.

My girlfriend and I were preparing hot water for dinner and previous to adding the dehydrated food into the pot we each scooped out a couple cups to combine with a packet of E-mergen-c. Hot E-mergen-c is really tasty and depending on the variety you choose has a nice selection of vitamins, minerals, glucosamine and chondroiton.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Love the stuff, Sam. I carry a couple packets with me at all times.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools