Topic

Leki vs Black Diamond Trekking Pole Tips for MYOG poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Leki vs Black Diamond Trekking Pole Tips for MYOG poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

So, there are three options I've narrowed down to (personally) for trekking pole tips.

1. The ones from Gossamer Gear.
    2. Leki replacement tips.
    3. Black Diamond Flex Tech Tips.

The former two look very similar. The carbide tip seems to be built in (like my current helinox poles).

The latter has a screw in replaceable tip…meant to be easily screwed in/out eg for a rubberised tip if you want. I kind of like this idea as I don't really want to have to cut off a whole tip once I've made it just to replace the carbide. The BD tips are also cheaper.

Anyone have suggestions as to which is better?
    My main concern is internal diameter-all reports suggest the Leki takes a .370 diameter Golf Shaft no worries. Same for BD?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I can't comment on the pros/cons of the tips, but I have some Gossamer Gear tips for a MYOG pole project that I bailed on that I would send you for cheap . . . PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Australia . . . so I'm not sure how cheaply I could ship them to you after all.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I used Leki replacement tips for my MYOG poles. Went right in with no problems and still there to this day. I think I went with them solely because I knew they would fit and wasn't worried about ever wearing them out. The tips still look brand new about 600mi later, but we have a lot of dirt here in the East.

Ryan

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Thanks for the offer Nick, might not be worth your hassle to ship them, I can probably get either the Leki or BD ones locally (waiting to hear back from a mate in a local store).

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Ryan-any idea how much length the tips add to a pole? I presume somewhere around an inch?

The carbide wearing out does worry me slightly. Conditions are often pretty rocky for me here in South Australia. But then I guess its not like I'll have to swap them every week…

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Adam – Looks like roughly 1.50"- 1.75" on mine.

Ryan

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Cheers Ryan.

Think I'll order a pair of the BDs through amazon…half the price I can get for any of the others, anywhere else (bearing in mind shipping to Aus).

I'll bank on 1 inch of height from them. If I have to cut a little length off the tube that's not an issue.

:-)

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Should work fine. Have you decided what grips you're going to use? I would love to find something equivalent to the expensive(and great) GG grips, but haven't found anything.

Ryan

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Yeah I'm not decided on the grips yet.

My current poles are these:
    https://www.helinox.com.au/fl135-walking-poles.php

I really like these grips. The bumps and everything makes them quite useable for me.

The easiest option is a simple straight foam grip, they are very cheap. I could probably go to a good fishing store locally to get them. But then I lose the ridges, which I currently lever off. I could perhaps put some tape or something under the foam grips in one or two places to provide a slight ridge.

My other thought is to go for a cycling or tennis or hockey stick wrap as a grip. I've wrapped plenty of hockey sticks and bike handlebars in the past, depending on how I do it I can have more or less ridges in there. Bonus is its easy to remove back to a bare shaft if it really doesn't seem to work out for me. Downside is, not sure how it will hold up long term on the trail in that vertical direction…

Also I currently use the straps a lot, I seem to like putting weight through them. Straps are probably more challenging again.

I can see the benefit of having either ridges and or straps…it reduces the total amount of grip strength and grip endurance required to put weight through the pole. Though with a lighter overall pole, perhaps my grip will benefit enough to make it a non-issue. Perhaps my technique will adapt too?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools