Topic

GoLite shoe wear……..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite shoe wear……..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Anyone had a problem with Golite shoes wearing extremely fast? I bought my son a pair of Sun Dragons (I think). He wore them to school a few days, then on a trip up Guadelupe Peak, in the National Park (Texas). They soles, and especially the "trail claws", are shredded. It wore thru the first two layers on the claws. Pretty weak, if you ask me. Anyone else had this problem?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's been reported all over the web I think.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Look at the companion thread to the review of Golite Carbon Fyre shoes, here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/golite_carbon_fyre_shoes_orsm07.html

I'm still wearing my original pair of Sun Dragons for walks around home, etc, looking to see how and how fast they'll continue to degrade — they're not pretty, but I'd guess I have a good 400 miles on them and they're still entirely useable. I'm starting to run/walk in a new pair, and still plan to thru-hike the PCT wearing this shoe in 2008, with fingers crossed that Golite sufficiently corrected the problem that they'll be durable enough to get good mileage (perhaps 600 miles per pair?) out of them.

Another shoe isn't really an option for me — I found this year that I really *need* the wide toebox that these offer, else I get various front-of-foot problems. And besides, they're so comfortable!

Brian Lewis

Kyle Rosenberger

@kyler55

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

I have blown through two pair of spike tail shoes. The first pair started to fall apart within 60 miles. I sent them back to Golite/Timberland and they sent me a new pair. Those started to fall apart within 20 miles, very dissapointing. I did not have trouble with the soles shreding but with the protective foam delaminating and the mesh coming apart. I sent my second pair back and told them I did not want another pair.

I have personally seen the 08 line of shoes and it appears they have solved all the problems. It looks good and I plan to pick up a pair when they come out.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Andrew Skurka will be finishing the Great western loop fairly soon, I beleive he used the golite sun dragons exclusivly during this trek..

we will have to ask him how they held up for him.. at this point, I dont know anyone else who could have more experience with the shoes then Skurka

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I've destroyed two pairs of Golite shoes. Both failed within 70 miles on the AT. I understand that Golite has diagnosed the problems correctly — that is, as I had diagnosed them — but I do not know if they have fixed the problems correctly.

An important issue with all the Golite shoes – which has been overshadowed by their abismal lack of durability is their poor performance on rock. The aggressive spikes have very little actual surface area so the grip is not secure on high angle rock. Also, the spikes are longer than needed to provide any extra traction in loose soil – more form than function.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Andy mentioned in one of his podcasts that his shoes cracked in the forefoot area (the same area everyone is having problems with). He mentioned that putting seamgrip in this area helped quite a bit (I believe you would want to put the seamgrip before any cracking occurs). He did mention, as has been mentioned elsewhere that Golite has fixed this problem. I'm not sure though if the fixed batch is out yet or not.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

I agree totally with this lack of traction, I have been caught below a rock slab on a river, and unable to climb out leaving me very wet. The sole is moderately durable and Im getting tiny holes on the top. They are still wearable and extremely comfortable, but I can't say they are durable. Appearently the upper problem may have been fixed though…

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Never tried to post before, so here goes. These had approximately 10 miles on them, but Guadalupe National Park is pretty rugged….

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/891136/DSCN0402(600×450).jpg

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Well, that didn't work, and I can't figure out the edit function.Golite shoes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools