Topic

Best Poncho/Shelter Design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Best Poncho/Shelter Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I have been looking for a poncho to either make or buy that gives plenty of coverage, is light, and I would also like for it to have room to double as a pack cover (triple as a pack cover if you count it being shelter also). All ideas will be helpful, and I look forward to hearing everyone's insights.

Thanks all,
    Kyle

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

http://www.sixmoonsdesigns.com sells the gatewood cape, which would be perfect for your needs.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww
    P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I have the GoLite poncho/tarp and really like it.

Jaiden .

@jaiden

campmor has one too. look for the "extension" one. I have never seen one.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I have one; it's actually an Equinox.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I've got a Gatewood Cape, and they're awesome. All the advantages of a poncho/tarp, but with more overall protection (though less ventilation), all in an 11 ounce package. Got to love that :D

Tom

Gene Kinney

@carl_kinney

Locale: Southwest

I have and like the Sea to Summit PonchoTarp. It weighs 11.5oz without the little stuff sack that comes with it.
    I actually stuff the thing in the hipbelt of my Mariposa Plus pack.
    It does great triple duty as an emergency shelter (A-frame), pack cover and rain poncho.
    I have yet to use as a primary shelter in a lean-to pitch but I will try it out next year in the summer.
    I always hated the clammy feeling of a rain jacket. And the ponchoTarp with its open sides with button snaps I don't get that feeling.
    Only downside is the weight of course. I would like to make my own someday with half the weight.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

the Six moon designs gatewood cape looks like an excellent shelter, full coverage shelter and packcover/raingear, but I have not bought one, because I like having multiple pitching options.
    my recomendations would be either the Integral designs sil poncho, or the golite poncho tarp. both companies make excellent products. The golite is a little longer, and narrower.

David Wills

@willspower3

most any poncho 8 ft or more will work for a shelter/pack cover. I made a copy of the MLD pro poncho, and it provides better pack coverage than regular ponchos because it is wider in the back. it also works better as a shelter than regular ponchos because it gives you more room at the head and tapers to the foot. I would highly recommend it as the best poncho.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I am partial to the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape. The nice thing about the cape is there is no need for a bivy in inclement weather. Pitch all the way to the ground and you are set.

GWRocky

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Has BPL ever done a group test of ponchotarps?
    You know, get a few people and do an overnighter in less than perfect weather using ponchotarp systems. I would be interested in a thorough back-to-back test of these products in real (wet windy bush) conditions.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Andrew,

You can see a real world comparison on this website at The Poncho Tarp: Techniques and Gear Systems for Inclement Conditions .

I think this one does require membership to read.

Ron

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

This is a great help – I looked in the wrong place.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools