Topic

re-thinking Exped pad decision–call out on UL9

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) re-thinking Exped pad decision–call out on UL9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I'm beating a dead horse, but…I was all set to buy the new Winterlite Medium Wide. I'd only pay a 4 ounce penalty over my UL7, but gain in r value. It also has a wider shoulder width than my UL7. Then I realized that I'm a stomach sleeper. My arms and hands are out to the side. I have my pillow off of the mat on the floor of my tent in front of the pad. The Winterlite is tapered at the head. I tried a similar shaped Exped pad at rei and my hands and arm seem to be on the ground, not on the pad in my normal sleeping position. this may be a deal breaker.

then, I saw the UL9 on sale. It's 20 ounces, but wider and warmer than the UL7–and thicker! And it's rectangular. they don't have one in store however.

so now I'm waffling between three pads; mostly between the two rectangular pads. does anyone have experience with the UL9? I'm a little worried that it will take up more space in my pack.

Help put me out of my ridiculous pad misery! and just buy a pad already.

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

Have you considered the "wide" ( 25.6") versions of the exped pads?

I have a pair of the Downmat 9 LW (long-wide) pads with the built-in pumps. Hopefully enough will transition over to help out …

I picked the LW version because I'm 6'6" 240 and, like yourself, a stomach sleeper. They were for a snow trip.

It is an amazing pad – very very comfortable and super warm. Heavy and bulky, too. Zero regrets except that it's overkill for most trips – it's an extra 1-2lbs you don't "have" to carry. But it sure is nice at night! A good night's sleep is my one guilty pleasure so I'll hump the weight over using any of my other pads.

If you need the temp rating of the 9, go that route.

If you don't need the rating of the 9, you should look at a 7(or 5) Wide.

If I had it to do over again, though, I'd go with a Synmat 5/7 UL LW.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Thanks, Mike: I ended up going with the UL7 Medium Wide. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I got a Ul9 recently and I am very impressed with it.
    Have not tried it on a trip yet but testing it at home it is definitley more comfortable
    than a Ul7.

Edit: It was a UL 9 long I got, for 3 Season trips I have a Ul7 MW.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools