Topic

What is the mid Ryan is using here?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the mid Ryan is using here?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

What is the mid used here http://ryanjordan.com/blog/2010/05/the-versatility-of-the-pyramid-as-an-ultralight-shelter

Its described as an 8’3″-er and 18 oz.
    It looks lower than a DuoMid and lighter as a DuoMid is 20oz

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

MLD Speedmid

John Eyles
    BPL Member

@johneyles

That's interesting, because MLD website currently lists SpeedMid as 22oz.

I am seriously considering it, as DuoMid sounds mighty cramped for me and girlfriend, and the SpeedMid is a lighter and cheaper than DuoMid XL, SuperMid, etc (and they are so tall as to require lashing two poles together or a dedicated pole).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

It's a special Mid no one else has ;-)

Logan T
    Spectator

@ltt777

As designs and materials change the ounces do as well. A lot of the MLD line is a couple ounces heavier than their earlier versions. It is definitely a speedmid, and I want one :)

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

Yeah, everything seems to go up in weight these days.

I liked the SoloMid but some say its a bit cramped.
    But do I really need the space of a DuoMid?
    Then I saw Solomid XL (18.5) is a bit longer and wider than the SoloMid standard, perhaps that's just right for one?

I though this could be a Solomid XL but its definitely a SpeedMid as that link is referenced here http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=131

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think if center pole is 60 inches, then I can sit up without touching walls with the back of my head. Much shorter and I'll get wet if there's condensation.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

If you plan on getting the SpeedMid, and intend to use it above treeline, you may want to ask Ron to add mid panel guy line attachment points. They won't add much weight, but will increase the stability immeasurably. The SpeedMid has large panels of fabric that are otherwise only supported by the centre pole and the pegs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools