Topic

Stretch Zion but lighter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stretch Zion but lighter?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I love, love, love Prana Stretch Zion pants and shorts but they are too warm. I'm wondering if anyone else here has found something similar in a lighter weight.

Here's what I like about the Pranas:

1) The integrated belt is awesome. It's the best I've worn.

2) The stretch is nice.

3) Thoughtful, simple pockets without going crazy. One zippered cargo pocket is really nice. I could live without it. One back pocket has a simple closure to keep stuff from falling out.

4) Velcro sucks. No hook and loop.

Any ideas?

Justin Miller
    BPL Member

@jrmoose

Locale: Midwest

I've used both the Stretch Zion and the Outdoor Research Ferrosi Pants. The Ferrosi pants are thinner/lighter (~10oz) and breathes better. They also have quite a bit of stretch (14% Spandex). The Ferrosi fabric is quite durable for it's weight although not quite that of the Zion pants.

No integrated belt. Small zippered pocket on the thigh. The waist has a soft lining on the inside which I do like. Belt loops are also very low profile.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Arcteryx Palisade is a little baggier with a little less stretch. The material is thinner.

Thomas Brown
    Spectator

@jiixin

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I went from the Zion to the Rab Vertex. No integrated belt, but they are stretchier, and have three zipped pockets. Over 4oz lighter.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I tried a few and stayed with the Prana Stretch Zion. They're just indestructible. Wearing the same original pair I bought last spring right now, and they look new.

I own two pairs of everyday pants. Both are Prana Stretch Zion's, one black and one brown. All I need!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

If only Prana made a hot weather version…

Thanks for the responses though.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Have a look at the Montane Terra trousers, nice a thin fabric that's oddly pretty wind resistant as well, also have great ventilation zips down the sides of the legs.

Cool enough for me to hike during Greek summers here.

Only thing i don't like is that there is no map pocket, impossible to fit one with those vents

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

I bought a pair of Millet Trekker Stretch pants on sale a few years ago. Integrated belt, several zippered pockets with inner mesh, cuffs can be rolled and buttoned up. 11.4oz. Not too warm in the summer time and super stretchy. Unzipping all pockets lets a little air in. Don't know if the current iteration is different but it looks like it may be.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Have a look at the Montane Terra trousers,"

+1 they're a great all around hiking pant, but especially good for the mountains.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I really like my Montane Terra Pack pants (i think they're a bit lighter than the regular Terra).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Lots of recommendations for the Montane Terra pants. I was not familiar with the brand until this thread. I'm leaning towards ordering these or Railriders Ecomesh pants. A couple of questions about the Terras:

1) Do the thigh vents work fairly well?

2) Any recommendations for US sources other than Amazon? They don't have the pants in the shorter inseam, size medium.

3) Do these seem like a good choice for a mid-June JMT hike?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

If you're buying the Terras online, buy from somewhere with easy returns. The size is a little strange – surprisingly short legs.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have(and like) the RailRiders Eco Mesh pants and I think for a JMT hike they are perfect.

They are not however stretchy, as they are supplex nylon. The Zions sound more like a Patagonia Rock Guide Pants that I have (discontinued – perhaps similar to the Quandary Pants?) and I would roast on the JMT in them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"1) Do the thigh vents work fairly well?"

They work very well. I use Terras regularly on hot Sierra East Side approaches and the vents are very effective.

"2) Any recommendations for US sources other than Amazon? They don't have the pants in the shorter inseam, size medium."

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Montane-Men-s-Terra-Pant_10216041_10208_10000001_-1_

"3) Do these seem like a good choice for a mid-June JMT hike?"

Yes, and for any other Sierra hike you might have in mind.

No, I don't have any financial interest in Montane, but I've been using the Terras for over 10 years now, love them, and don't mind recommending a great piece of gear to others.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

It might be on the extreme side of simple, but BluffWorks Pants (polyester) are worth looking into. I like the plain smart styling and refined fit.

Edit to note that I recently picked up a pair of Marmot Arch Rock pants on sale! at REI. Fairly light fabric with just a tad of stretch. Most importantly, they fit great. Not at all like most of the other offerings that look like a mix between MC Hammer's and Jack Hanna's pants. Anyways, they're about perfect for me and I'll be using them up in the Sierra until they die.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

The Kuhl Renegade have a similar stretch to the Zions and are lighter.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

I have prAna’s Zion, Brion, and Yoga synthetic pants (updated version is the Super Mojo) and for backpacking I think I prefer the Yoga pair best. Light weight, cool and simple. Elastic waist with a drawstring, no belt loops and only one zippered side pocket just big enough to hold a small smart phone but I noticed the updated version has front pockets now. Not for everyone, but still tough as nails and minimalist.

John in OH
    BPL Member

@seyerle

I like my Arcteryx Lefroy pants. Very breathable for hot weather. Weigh about 10 ounces, with belt included. Lots of pants choices though so try several on and keep the ones that feel best for you.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My best stretch outdoor pants are the “Dry-on-the-Fly” cargo pants from Duluth Trading Co. They have a lot of great features including a generous crotch gusset which really helps when scrambling.

These pants are (IMHO) as well made as RailRiders but cost less. I also have these pants in a heavy, non-stretch fleece-lined nylon for winter. Best d@mn winter pants I’ve ever owned!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools