Topic

Unaweep-inspired internal/external hybrid pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Unaweep-inspired internal/external hybrid pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

This pack was an attempt to mesh the fantastic external-style harness of the Paradox Unaweep with the flex of internal framed/stayed packs. Lots more pics and details here: https://outlivingblog.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/the-big-ugly/

hj

Fabric is X50, which is a 500d Cordura laminate from Dimension Polyant without the back scrim fabric. Frame is 7075 aluminum.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Awesome. Glad you did it, so I don't have to add to the pile of packs already in my closet. Will be interesting to see how the bottom corner bolts and nuts hold up.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Nice!

I'm loving the look of the fabric you used. It looks like you took it off some cold war era eastern European military rucksack.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Yeah I need to put them in the other way so they don't stick out quite as much. They're the same size as the hipbelt bolts so I think they should be fine.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Wow cool looking pack, I'll have to try one of these some day.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The pack looks great. I also have a narrow waist and found the spacing between the bolts on the Unaweep to be too far apart. I couldn't get a good wrap with the hipbelt at heavier loads, and I think that was the reason. How did you go about adding new straps to the Unaweep hipbelt?

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

The pack looks great!

Some nice details on this pack- the daisy chain and the compression strap that go over/under the bottle pockets are both nice additions.

I'm liking my Unaweep so far, but a narrower, slimmer version would be great for small, but heavy loads (UL base weight but lots of water for dry camps, etc.). Looks like you hit the nail on the head.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Looks great Brendan. A lot of time, effort and sewing went into that pack. Weighs less than I expected too.

Ryan

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

John- I just undid the bottom stitch of the hipbelt and sewed on pieces of webbing with grommets like the originals. You have to push the foam out of the way but it's not too difficult.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Brilliantly constructed. What sewing machine do you use?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Thanks Philip. I used a Sailrite LSZ-1. Great pack-making machine.

Roman Vazhnov
    BPL Member

@joarr

Locale: Russia

Great pack. Isn't the lower part of the frame bumping emm… the lower part of the users back?

Nikita Yurinov
    Spectator

@diggercat

Agree with Roman. I am worried whether these moldings will abrade user's pantsjacketbackpack hipbelt.
    P.S. Awesome pack!

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

The bottom of the frame doesn't touch me. No interference.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools