Topic

Recharging CR 2016 or 2032 Batteries?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recharging CR 2016 or 2032 Batteries?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I like the idea of recharging my batteries prior to a trip — and avoid having to guess how much power is left and whether to carry extras.

Can CR 2016 / 2032 "button size" batteries be recharged — similar to AA or AAA's? If so, please recommend your favorite charger — plug in or solar. Thanks!

Scott Ridgeway

@scottfree

As far as I know, you can't recharge button cells. BUT, assuming those cells are for a photon light, you should check out Photons latest offering. It may solve your problem.

http://www.photonlight.com/Photon-ReX-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/rex-lithium-ion-rechargeable.htm

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Years ago, I used to take a 9V battery and connect + to + and – to – for 30 seconds or so and get a few more runs out of a coin battery, BUT this is dangerous (battery could explode) and the net voltage may be more than 3V after "charging." I have not tried this on modern lithium batt's (although I have collection just waiting…)

Anyway, the weight of a 9V "charger" would probably weigh more than several dozen 2032s. FlashLightReviews.com, on the link page, recommends a vendor for cheap ($1.00 or less in quantity) for 2016 and 2032 batteries, but I haven't tried them.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I designed electronic comm gear in the past that used these lithiums. The manufacturer at the time (Tadiran) recommended a very small charging current (microamps) to keep the batteries topped off.

While you might be able to hit the battery much harder, and you might be able to extend the lifetime, you might also cause the battery live to drop dramatically, or die at an in-opportune time.

They will burn, and they will explode. Unless you're in a situation where you're out and don't have a spare, they're awfully cheap and light weight to take a spare.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    MikeB

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your insights. Given how light these coin cells are, I guess it makes more sense just to carry an extra along as backup…

Kent Christopher

@kentchristopher

Locale: Madison, WI / Berlin, Germany

In light of new rules regarding batteries when flying, if you DO decide to try charging lithium batteries on your own, DO NOT bring them on a plane.

See http://safetravel.dot.gov/tips.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools