Topic

Microfleece 100

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Microfleece 100

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I've experimented with combining a fishnet baselayer, with a turned inside out Cap 4 hoody over same as a "midlayer", for more extreme cold active insulation (this can do me good to around 10 to 15 degrees in conjunction with a windjacket and moderate physical exertion). Another reason why i've sized up a bit for the Cap 4–since i don't always use it as a baselayer. It's amazing how much insulation the 3 in conjunction seems to provide, and one of the fishnet baselayers i have is only around 3 oz. I also don't have to worry as much about sweating as i normally would have to with this system.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Interesting thread, and thanks again for the data, Richard. This, Skurka and Dave C's writing about it has had me appreciating the utility of a simple 100 weight fleece, especially on days spent in the alpine this fall. I don't view it as completely necessary, but it does open up a lot of layering possibilities as well as a bigger margin of safety if there's a big storm. I've been really happy with the combo of eddie bauer fleece pullover (8.5oz) and the mb ex light anorak (6.2oz). Its just a hair heavier than the bulk of light synthetic puffies, but with much better versatility and warmth. Combined with my breathable windshirt, I can get alpha like performance for less weight. For me, the downfall of using a fleece like this as a midlayer is that its kind of a pain to take on and off, and you can't fully vent it. In colorado I'm less worried about buffering moisture under a rain shell because there just aren't that many prolonged storms here. Whats more useful is the ability to quickly and effortlessly temperature regulate according to the quickly changing conditions. So, I've had my eye out for a good full zip with a hood and pockets, and I just found one that might be of interest to the OP and to others here if they fit into a euro size L and don't mind wild euro colors. http://www.backcountry.com/haglfs-triton-ii-hooded-fleece-jacket-mens?s=a The back and torso are made with 100 weight thermal pro (%100 polyester) and the sides, bottom and sleeves are made with powerstrech pro (%92 poly, 8%spandex). There's thumbholes, a hood with a built in facemask (tech points) and nice high hand pockets. The L fits me about as good as anything has fit my 6'2 175 frame. Those euros know how to cut a jacket. I think its got a lot to offer for its 12oz. It easily slides on and off compared to my pullover which has a tendancy to pull my merino baselayer off with it. I like the arc teryx fortrez as well but its a bit heavier and I don't like the fit as much.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Richard can you infer that a Arc’teryx Nuclei FL Jacket Men’s that is compose of Coreloft™ Continuous 65 (65g/m²) insulation would degrade as the Rab Xenon hoodies you tested?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

I SUSPECT not as fast but still at an alarming rate.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The simple 100 wt fleece top has proven itself thousands of times over.  Amazing to me that such a simple (and “old school”) item remains the go-to.  At this point, I almost never venture out without one in my pack, or on my body.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

The simple 100 wt fleece top has proven itself thousands of times over. Amazing to me that such a simple (and “old school”) item remains the go-to. At this point, I almost never venture out without one in my pack, or on my body.

Man, isn’t that the truth! Here in Montana I can’t remember a BP trip (or even dayhike) in the last 20+ years where I haven’t had a 100 wt 1/4 zip, or its equivalent, in my pack.

Some things just work…

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I Have a Mountain Hardware micro fleece Hoody (“Microchill”). Weighs about 8 oz. I love it!

Under a wind breaker it is surprisingly warm. And, it is not tight/stretchy (like Patagonia R1), so much more comfortable to wear, and easier to take on and off.

I love fleece when my rain shell gets wetted-out and we’re at camp. Putting fleece between base layer and a damp rain shell works nicely.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I would agree, I still have my MicroChill Lite full zip hoody.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools