Topic

my 9.5 ounce jay ham tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear my 9.5 ounce jay ham tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

Locale: philadelphia PA

this is my version with an opening beak

.tarptarp2

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Very nice! I really like that setup. Are you going to use a bivy with that?

Tom

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Brian,

Congratulations on putting together the tarp. The photos make it look very nice. Did you do it up in spinnaker or silnylon? I like the addition of the velcro "door" on the front beak. Let me guess, this was an afterthought?

When I completed my tarp using Jay's design I noticed that when setting the tarp up in the suggested way, the beak is so close to the ground one has to crawl to get under it. I considered putting in a similar velcro'ed opening to allow for easier access but instead simply use a different setup method which keeps the tarp higher off the ground.

Your method will keep the tarp edges very close to the ground which will greatly reduce precipitation finding it's way under. Not having a trekking pole in the center will give you the entire span of the tarp to move around under which will be simply luxurious in terms of tarp camping.

Once again, nice work. I'd love to see some close-ups of your seams and tie-outs.

– Sam

brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

Locale: philadelphia PA

there are no pictures of seems and tie out because they are a mess. i will be using alot of seam sealer on this one. first tarp attempt. the opening beak was the first thought i had and it made alot harder for me.i used silnylon 2nds only cost about $40.00. with the beak closed i only have a 35 inch peak hieght, my poles only extend to 49 inches. as for the bivy i made this for some else. 2 days into a 4 day trip my dog puled up lame . complete stranger,some one that i only meet the day before ended his trip 2 days early to get me and my dog home . so i thought a light tarp would be a nice thank you. he was caring 35 pounds of gear.(9.5 ounce tarp for a 3lbs bivy)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools