Topic

Important Lesson’s You’ve Learned the Hard Way

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Important Lesson’s You’ve Learned the Hard Way

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

– Do not forget your eating utensil when you will be camping above treeline in the North Cascades and there is no dry wood available to make chopsticks out of. I hunted for quite a while and only found two short, crooked twigs that weren't completely rotted out. They worked, but eating was quite a chore.

– VERY IMPORTANT: be absolutely sure all the O-rings on your MSR XGK are in good shape, and carry spares.

Once the one at the pump got nicked and started leaking, but only after I turned it on (no leaks when just pressurized, and I followed the MSR safety procedures). It was dark and I didn't see the leak, and the only thing that prevented a BIG explosion was that that the fuel bottle was downhill from the flame, so the stream of fuel running out did not catch.

I shudder to think what would have happened if the fuel bottle was uphill and the fuel ignited…I suspect there would have been a fireball as the heat increased the pressure in the fuel bottle, causing more fuel to flow out, increasing the temperature even more, until BOOM.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Brian

Why do you say Aaron's line of thinking is dangerous? Where and how you hike obviously affects what you consider essential, but not all of us hike on well formed trails, in the predictable weather of California.

I would not consider water purification to be essential, and in fact I've NEVER carried water purification. I also don't usually carry insulated headwear, though I do have a raincoat with hood for wind protection, and a hood on my sleeping bag.

I carry a first aid kit, and it includes stuff like migraine medicine and reflux meds. Essential? No. But lying around for a few days waiting for a migraine to pass is just not fun. Being unable to swallow because of bleeding ulcers, a real drag. Blisters? Great fun! I don't carry sunscreen, but I DO carry a broad brim hat.
    I could leave the stove at home and just eat cold food, but I mainly hike for pleasure, and some of the best pleasure I have is a hot cuppa coffee to start the day, and a hot meal to finish the day. Not essential, and maybe "needy", but where do you draw the line? Why carry a sleeping bag or shelter? Just make it out of what's available like our predecessors. A nice bed of pine needles should do the trick.

There is no harm in any of the stuff that Aaron considers essential as long as he knows how to use it if needed…

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Thank's Allison,

You have to remember that 95% of the trails that people hike see other people at least once an hour.

Unless you plan on carrying enough 1st aid gear for a serious injury, (a few splints and enough gear to stop major bleeding), then what good is more than a band-aid?
    If you get hurt, someone will come across you within the next hour.
    If you are hurt bad enough and have all the crap from above, then you probably wouldn't be able to administer it to your self anyway.

Carrying all the extra crap is probably what would be responsible for injuring that person in the first place.

If you are in a big group, then I would agree to the essentials, but if you do not put your self in the situations or know how to go with out then I feel that carrying the rest of the essentials I normally wouldn't carry would only be used if I happened to pass by someone else that was injured, (probably from carrying too much gear).

Just my 2 cents.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

A few more thoughts about hiking high up, say greater than 10,000 feet, and on glaciers:

– it is particularly important to regularly eat and especially drink. What worked for me high up on Mount Rainier and other places was to stop about every hour or so, even if roped up, and eat and drink until I was satisfied. Then I ate and drank the same amount again, forcing myself if needed. As much as I urged my partners to do the same, they didn't, and although as a rule I felt fine on the summits, they (and many others up there) often felt rotten.

– the sun can be fierce, and the snow reflects in every direction, including up from the snow…make sure every bit of your face and lips is either covered with sun-blocking fabric or really strong sunscreen. I once had to hike down on a hot day with my face completely covered by my wool balaclava, very uncomfortable. Don't forget about the backs of your hands and all kinds of other exposed spots.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

I absolutely agree Aaron. To me, if I'm thinking in terms of survival pieces, I'm assuming that I will only need them if I'm NOT in one of those 95% situations.

I do not believe there is such a thing as and absolute list of what you need to carry for survival. It sooo depends on the person, the place/climate, how sparse the track is (IF there's a track) and a thousand other little things. I don't think it's justified to tell someone else that THEIR list of "must haves' is ignorant or dangerous.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> You have to remember that 95% of the trails that people hike see other people at least once an hour.
    Really????
    Good Lord. Here in Australia most (non-tourist) walking parties would not see another party for a day or two. The area my wife and I prefer would see maybe one or two parties a year.
    Big differences!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Yeah, Ditto across the ditch here. At least in NZ we rarely have to worry about water (quanitity OR qaulity). But off the main tourist tracks, you're pretty much on your own most of the year.

I think drowning in swollen rivers is one of the biggest causes of death in New Zealand hikers. That, and falling off things like mountains and cliffs.

This means, rationally, the most important thing I SHOULD carry is an EPERB, and be wise enough to leave the river crossing until it's safe. Using your head is the ultimate in UL travelling ;)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

With the assumption of seeing people on the trail that could help you if you needed it…is well, that is a huge dangerous assumption to make. We should all be prepared to do what we can do for ourselves and hiking partners (this doesn't mean heavy either).

I once a met a group that had a person with a "twisted ankle" that was waiting for a med evac. Which did come. But hello? A twisted ankle? Oh get a life! We offered help and were rudely rebuffed and thanks but no thanks, pros were coming. We got to the TH to see every off road ambulance in the two counties coming up the 4 wheel drive road to the TH. For a freaking twisted ankle. 1 mile from the TH. We were asked what we had encountered up there and we told them quite frankly that it was a lazy &** who couldn't hobble out.

That group could have easily wrapped the persons leg up with proper gear and walked them out.

On the other hand, a lady I hiked with this past year had her knee go out about 5 miles from the trailhead. We stopped, wrapped her up as good as we could, gave her enough pain meds to dampen the pain, took her pack and hiked out. She said she'd have crawled before she had us calling for a ranger to help her. She had pride and had the correct first aid gear with her to save the trip.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

If you are using a bus or train to get to your start point, keep an eye on your kit at the intermediate stops before your destination. Very dispiriting to get off and find all your kit has been stolen from the cargo hold of the bus when it pulled into Badassville.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

So where does the issue of a "twisted ankle" have any need for 1st aid gear?

Treatment is 2 sticks and a jacket or 2 shirts, then 2 sticks as crutches for aid of walking. You can even take apart 1 of your hiking poles for the ankle and use the other to aid in walking until you came across a useful stick for support.

The first aid gear you would need to supplement this would not only be meaningless but also weigh a few pounds for the Sam Splints and wrap, (not something you'll ever see me carry) unless agian you are hiking in a big group.

If people "only" brought what was really needed in the back country we would all be UL…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

"If people "only" brought what was really needed in the back country we would all be UL…"

You take what YOU want and I'll take what I NEED. I have a feeling that my needs are stronger than yours-especially so in first aid kits. I have used everything I carry at some point. My first aid kit causes pauses, yet I have exactly what I need. And I share OFTEN with others due to this.

The many things I carry and have used?

Antihistamines: arm blew up like a party balloon after being stung.

Blister care: 1/3rd of my kit is blister care. I use it daily. I blister easily no matter the shoe.

Ace bandages: I have given a number of these away to people hurt. Cheap, light and they work for limping to the trail.

Dental kit: I had a filling shrink on a flight and come out while hiking. Kit saved my mouth from horrid pain. I also carry a repair kit for crowns. I didn't spend the equivalent of a car to have it wrecked on a trip…as of this Tuesday I will be carrying a repair kit for my braces as well.

Clear IV patches: these clear waterproof patches covered the top of my feet after my skin was rubbed off. Kept flies out of my wounds.

Sewing kit: Sewn torn clothing/gear at night. Used to puncture blisters.

Anti-diaharea meds: They could save your life. You don't EVER want to risk this. Diahrea can kill you very easily, especially in the desert.

Migraine meds. I don't have to explain this.

Nausea meds.

Burn medication. I have seen some bad scars from burns in my life and don't need to ever see any more. Burns getting infected are awful.

An extensive bandage collection: Kid took a face plant and ripped up both legs and hands while hiking. The cleanup also involved the next item:
    Prep wipes. And:
    Ointment.

Liquid Bandage: Don't leave home without it. Waterproof sealing of wounds. The huckleberry bush that impaled my knee this past summer hurt very bad. It left me with an open wound I cleaned up with above wipes, let dry and sealed.

Small ice pack, one use. Has worked wonders for when I had rock roll into my ankle.

Painkillers: Wide range from Tylenol, advil, kid ones and prescription. All used widely.

Gloves: I will do whatever I can to help you, but I WILL protect myself from you.

And I could go on and on. If there is one thing I have learned over the years is to be prepared as best as I can be. I will cut corners where I can but not in first aid. I might add that my husband's first aid kit makes mine look downright UL. He did trail patrol for a good amount of time and did carry items like splints. He still does.

The amount of first aid gear we have given out in the past 5 years shows how woefully unprepared people are. And yes, I myself have been caught unprepared! I have run out of blister care and had to bum off of other people and was not proud of that.

As for the person with the twisted ankle? Sure, first aid applies here: with an ace bandage and others to help support them they could have hobbled out. They simply didn't want to. They wanted to be rescued. Does that make them poster children for UL? I would hope not!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If you're leaving for the trailhead from your office be sure to leave a "Food" Postit on your steering wheel, so you don't go off and forget your food bag in the coffee room refrigerator.

Brian Sims

@mtnfiend

Locale: Pasadena, CA

Look I understand…who is this guy telling my my kit is inadequate and unsafe. But the fact is we carry this stuff for when the stuff hits the fan and things don't go according to plan. How many times do we hear about the person that goes out for a short hike, has no extra cloths, and has to spend an unplanned night in the woods. Now by the simple fact that you are on this site tells me that you are smarter than the average bear. But you are not immune to the forces of nature and things DO go wrong sometimes.

A person I hiked with once was hiking in the Sierra by himself, fell off a ledge, and broke both legs. He pulled himself close to a trail over the course of a few days before he was found. Luckily he was ok in the end.

How stupid would you feel not bringing an extra item or two that could save your life just to save a gram or two. Clearly you are going to do your own thing. I stand by my statement that not taking a few extra items with in reason, whatever they may be, in case something goes wrong is foolish and unsafe. To rely on others to bail your butt out of a bad situation is risky. As an Eagle Scout I was taught to be prepared…not rely on other 95% of the time.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

thanks!

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Learn to rappel BEFORE you set out to climb your first mountain. If you don't, at least print off instructions from the following site and take them along if you hope to return from the climb alive:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6976_rappel-down-cliff.html

This lesson also applies to a lot of other skills and activities when heading into the wilderness. At least that's what I've learned based on my experience.

JRS

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Yeah Brian, that guy could have been me. I was solo hiking 3 days into a planned 6 day trip int the Trinity alps. I off the beaten track climbing Mt Thomas when I went for a long slide off the ridge. Ended up with a broken femur, broken ribs and dislocated shoulder half way up the side of the mountain.

I obviously lived to tell the tale, but was VERY lucky. I dragged/crawled/hopped my way down to the track and was found within 3 hours by a research team (studying yellow-bellied sap suckers…). They had pain meds, food caches, and most importantly radio contact to arrange my rescue. So I was once one of those folks who benefitted from others having the forsight to be prepared and help me out. This was otherwise not a busy track and I could have waited a very long time for another hiker to find me, then another few days for them to walk out and raise the alarm. Without food, almost out of cooking fuel, and with nothing but a couple of aspirins it would have been miserable but not life threatening as long as I was near water.

It could have been a lot worse, like open wounds to get infected or bleed to death, anaphylactic shock from a bee sting, etc… For the sake of never having to be in that potential situation again, I always carry pain meds, antibiotics, antihistamines, fire-starting, etc…plus an EPERB if I go solo into an area where I don't expect to find other hikers. Is it overkill? Did our ancestors manage to 'survive' without all these modern luxuries? Does all this gear give me an excuse not to learn and practice survival techniques? That's for me to decide, and the only 'danger' is to myself if I get it wrong.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Sarah &
    Brian

Sarah, I have an almost identical 1st aid kit as you, when I go out for more than a few days or out in the middle of nowhere.
    But if I am not doing the above, I may only carry some foot tape that can take the place of almost everything.

If I Do Not pack to be "As prepared as Possible" then I petty much only take a jacket water and food, (for all the reasons mentioned before).

I have NEVER used a knife in the back country and can list several other things I don't bring that I have no use for that others have on there Essentials List.

I have hiked the Rea Lakes Loop as a Day Hike a few times, (most people hike it in 6 days)

It really isn't that hard to do as a day hike either.
    So why don't others do it?

After so many "Essentials" you need to now carry a heavier pack and now your back hurts so you need a heavier pad and since your going slower more food and on and on.

Essentially essentials slow you down so much it makes UL essentially impossible???

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I generally pack along most of the 10 essentials and pretty much find the weight negligible. For instance:
    1. Map: only when I'm going to unfamiliar country; printed from TOPO! 1 gm.
    2. Compass: no longer made miniature Silva Ranger, 20gm.
    3. Sunglasses: polarized clip-ons, 10 gm.
    4. Extra clothing: windshirt, 84 gm.
    5. Extra food: clif bar, 68gm.
    6. Flashlight: Princeton Pulsar, 5 gm.
    7. First Aid Kit: Ibuprofen (to reduce swelling),
    antihistamine (bee stings), bandaids, butterfly closures, antibiotic, hydrocortisone, sunscreen, bugjuice, 40 gm.
    8. Fire Starter: witch's hair (lichen; hangs from tree
    branches). 0 gm.
    9. Matches: pezo lighter, 15gm.
    10.Knife: Swiss Army Classic, 20gm.

The total comes to 263 gm (9 oz). Not really enough to slow me down or make me eat more. And since I usually hike solo, x-country, I always find a use for a knife, from removing ticks, blackberry thorns & cactus spines to carving a fish hook. Because I let the trip determine the gear I take, the weight varies. But really, 9oz or less is pretty negligible for peace of mind.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Don't bring 2 extra pairs of jeans in a non-waterproof plastic framed Coleman/Peak 1 backpack. Don't place a Tupperware container full of sugar that your Mom has convinced you will not come open in between the jeans. When the Tupperware container popped and it rained we had we heavy sticky jeans for our 5 day trip.

Don't fall asleep with your boots outside your tent in Marmot country. From the ankle on up was eaten by a fat happy marmot. The same marmot later stole my brothers toothbrush. Just gotta be smarter than the marmot.

Don't carry 2 quarts of white gas with your Coleman stove that has a built in STEEL tank that already has 10 to 12 ounces of fuel. Those were the days when our Campmor vinyl poncho was the most high tech piece of gear we had. We would go buy our boots at Sears and drool over the Backpacker magazines review of the Asolo Superscout boots.

Kyle Hetzer
    Spectator

@ghost93

Locale: Western MD

1) You need bottom insulation in a hammock, even in late summer.
    2) Hiking on top of West Virgina's tallest ridge isn't a good idea during a lighting storm.
    3) If you tarp camping, and its cold, with a steady breeze (10 mph) and you don't have a bivy, seal the tarp to the ground as best you can.
    4) If you break your collar bone, then go hiking, and fail to take pain killers, pain may ensue.
    5) There is no such thing as waterproff / breathable.
    6) Chilli Mac and mashed patatos can be the best meal you have ever eaten.
    7) Sinckers are AWSOME
    8) Did I say snickers are AWSOME
    9) USGS maps do not always show where the trails really go. (Turkey Hunter, "You guys following the map"
    Us, "Yea' Turkey Hunter, "Thats your porblem").

Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools