Topic

Guadalupe Mountains National Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Guadalupe Mountains National Park

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

Heading out to Guadalupe Mountains National Park Wednesday. I read the wonderful trip report http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/29573/index.htm

We onlyhave three days there. Trail suggestions anyone?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Well first last I checked Dog Canyon on the north side of the Park was closed for road construction. I believe its possible to hike in and get water (check) but you can't drive last I heard.
    If you have two cars I would start at Pine Spring Canyon hike through the Bowl area, along the Bush Mountain Trail and exit via McKittrick Canyon to a waiting vehicle.
    If you do NOT have two vehciles then hike up Tejas Trail. Make as big a loop through the Bowl as time permits then exit out on the Tejas Trail again.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

With two cars

Day 1: McKittrick TH to Mescalaro CG

Day 2: Mescalaro CG to Dog Canyon (water) to Blue Ridge OR Bush Mountain CG

Day 3: Out to Pine Springs TH

B Cook
    Spectator

@lonestarstomp

Locale: North of Boquillas

From the GMNP website:
    "Dog Canyon CLOSURE (Jan-March 2015)
    Starting January, Dog Canyon will be closed to visitors due to a water system project. During this time there will be no water available to backpackers. Front and backcountry access from the canyon will also be prohibited.

Trail closure from flood damage – 3/09/2015
    Bear Canyon Trail remains closed to hikers. The El Capitan and Salt Basin Overlook Loop trails are now open for hiking only. Stock use is not allowed. For more information please call 915-828-3251"

Seth Cunningham
    BPL Member

@seththesailor

I was just there this weekend. The ranger told me that Dog Canyon is still closed to camping but water is available for backpackers. Here is my favorite loop:

(This requires two cars or a bike shuttle back to pine springs. Or you could hitch.)
    Day 1: Pine Springs to Bush Mtn Campsite via Tejas to Bush Mtn Trail
    Day 2: Bush Mtn to Dog Canyon (for Water) via Bush Mtn Trail
    This section is very overgrown and not hiked much. Awesome views and very remote.
    Dog Canyon to McKittrick Ridge Campsite
    Day 3: McKittrick Ridge to McKittrick Canyon

(With one Car)
    Day 1: Pine Springs to Bush Mtn Campsite via Tejas to Bush Mtn Trail
    Day 2: Bush Mtn to Dog Canyon (for Water) via Bush Mtn Trail
    Dog Canyon to Mescalero or Tejas
    Day 3: Mescalero/Tejas to Pine Springs via the Bowl + Hunter peak

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

Caleb:

WE are planning on the Pine Springs to Bush Mt Campsite via Tejas to Bush Mtn Trail. But it seems a pretty short hop. Was thinking of pushing it all the way to Marcus on day one. Am I delusional here? We run a pretty good distances every weekend ( 10+ miles) but I have been know to bite off more than I can chew.

Thoughts?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Not delusional, but rangers may add note to permit that they warned against it. That is what they did to us going up Bear Canyon all the way to Marcus, about 14 miles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools