Topic

Mukluks for my wife’s cold feet at night

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mukluks for my wife’s cold feet at night

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

My wife always complains about cold feet, despite wearing wool socks at night. And she's under our two-person quilt with me keeping her warm. My feet don't get cold.

I'm thinking of making insulated mukluks out of some synthetic insulation left over from our quilt. Not like booties that you can walk around in, more like really warm, high socks.

Anyone have some plans or design I could use?

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I wear these high loft fleece socks in my hammock during the spring/fall for added warmth. Might be a good alternative to the wool socks?

ACORN Unisex Versafit Sock

Gary Yelland
    Spectator

@tacblades

I made this with fake lambs wool, like used in the buffalo jackets, works well but doesnt pack very small

Pack cover 1

Testing

Foot Test

Then I made insulated boots, but the are far too big like massive ugg boots, so not really solved the problem yet,

although thinking about it a lambs wool socks might work

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Nunatak down booties.

3.75 to 8 ounces.

http://nunatakusa.com/site07/main_pages/product_booties.htm

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Nice project,

Get her a pair of socks made of muskox under fur yarn….8 times warmer than wool.

photo socks20Muskox_zpshlo9hdkx.jpg

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

On the web Muskox under fur wool socks are $175! Or does someone sell them much cheaper?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Elliot, a week ago I met a woman at the annual Sock Monkey festival here in Rockford, IL where I live. She said she would love to knit a pair of socks for me if I furnish her the Muskox yarn. She said it requires 400 yards/100 grams of yarn. I'm thinking I can swing the funds to get the yarn online and have her knit up a pair on her vintage 1904 sock knitting machine. You can see her in this youtube video describing the machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD-TYCXgKa8

My feet get special attention at night to make sure they stay warm when camping. I'm at an age where I need to make frequent nighttime bathroom breaks, the ole prostate is the culprit :-) so when I slide back in the bag I need all the help I can get to get my feet warmed up again.

There are different blends of yarn available so I need to think on this before I commit.

Hilly Jacklin on youtube, will charge me $25.00 to knit a pair for me. Add postage for sending yarn to her and then shipping finished socks to me.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Although qiviut wool socks might be very warm, I think that you would find them to be an expensive single-purpose item.

If I am going to be camped somewhere in the cold, I use my ordinary socks. If I think that my feet will get cold, I wear some oversized socks along with the ordinary ones.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Then I made insulated boots, but the are far too big like massive ugg boots, so not really solved the problem yet,"

RBH makes some fabulous, insulated VBL socks. In the winter, I wear those over my regular socks and my feet stay warm all night.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Bob, look what we can get for $120.00, single use item+ shipping costs:

Trail Designs Cook Kit: Toaks 900ml pot and the full Sidewinder system including the Ti-Tri titanium cone custom sized to fit in this pot, the titanium GramCracker solid fuel kit, the lightweight aluminum 12-10 stove with integrated primer pan, fuel bottle kit with measuring cup, Tyvek sleeve to protect your pot, and two titanium stakes for wood burning mode.
    Sidewinder + Pot Bundle- $119.95

When your tummy is full you feel good, when her feet are warm, she'll feel much better ;-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Elliott take a look at the page of "sock blockers" it might give you an idea of what your pattern should look like. You'll have to measure your wifes foot, ankle and calves to get an idea of the shape and length

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1006&bih=578&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=sock+blocker&oq=sock+blocker&gs_l=img.3..0l4j0i5l4j0i24l2.11105.15232.0.16193.12.12.0.0.0.0.185.1491.6j6.12.0.msedr…0…1c.1.62.img..0.12.1475.LZs3a1XooCQ#imgdii=_

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools