Topic

Measurement markings on MLD 475 ml mug.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Measurement markings on MLD 475 ml mug.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

potI've seen various methods posted on BPL for marking measurements on pots and mugs. I didn't have all the equipment that some used, so I modified my approach a little. I thought I'd share it with as some might find it helpful.

Equipment used:

1/8" diameter dowel rod
    2" diameter dowel rod
    1" X 1/2" piece of scrap wood
    small metal file
    small wood rasp file
    1 oz syringe
    3" C-clamp
    old beat up regular screwdriver
    sharpie marker
    ruler with 1/64" markings
    regular claw hammer

Steps:

file all edges of screwdriver blade round with metal file

file a 1" wide flat section into the 2" diameter dowel rod with rasp file (for more stable purchase onto work table)

file the edge of the 2" dowel that will meet up with the inside curve of your pot or mug so you can press it flat against the wall

use syringe to fill mug in 2 oz increments then insert 1/8" diameter dowel into water

mark the spot of the wet /dry line in each of the 2 oz increments onto the dowel

once done with that step, transfer the markings to the scrap wood, subtracting 1/32" height from each marking to compensate for the diameter of the dowel rod

use the ruler and sharpie to make a vertical line where you want your indentations to be

mark your 2 oz increments across that line

mount the dowel with the flat side down on the work table with the C-clamp and secure in place

mark the center line on your screwdriver with the sharpie

place your pot or mug over the dowel rod and line up the screwdriver with the cross marks you made, paying attention to line up the vertical mark on the pot with the center line on the screwdriver

with the screwdriver in position, hit the back of the screwdriver with the hammer with a medium amount of force

*** IMPORTANT: Take your time! DO NOT hit it too hard! If you make the indentations too deep it will split the wall of your pot.

Continue repositioning the screwdriver so you hit the same spot and whack it again

repeat this process until you can clearly see the indentation from the inside of the pot

once satisfied with that indentation, start on the next

when finished, use a green scrubber pad and rubbing alcohol to remove the sharpie marks

the marks will not completely rub off, but over time will disappear

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

equipmentequipment

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

equipment cont.equipment 2

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice!

My 900 mL Ti pot has markings at 300 and 600 mL

I use 1 cup for oatmeal or soup or 2 cups for coffee or tea, which is 238 mL or 476 mL

The 300 and 600 mL aren't real convenient for measuring that, although I could just eyeball it

I should put in marks like that

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools