Topic

ISPO 2015

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable ISPO 2015

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

ISPO 2015

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I had a very interesting conversation with the rep from Toray. They had sewn up some nice factory prototypes with their new insulation material ‘3DeFX+’. I reported on this new ‘stretch’ insulation last year, but it was nice to see it turned into something wearable:"

KUIU has a jacket (with and without hood) with Toray 3DeFX+, Kenai hoody and jacket. 15 oz and 13 oz.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Thanks Matthew

Yeah, we are up for field testing!

Cheers

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

A few remarks:
    1) SDP by Keela/Ardmel is not something relatively new, but already exists for a long time and the opportunity for anyone to use it, is not new either.
    2) 3DeFX+ = Fullrange by Patagonia.
    3) 3M Thinsulate Featherless: according to their pressrelease and a few other sources, it's not continuous but a loose fill insulation, intended to look like down.
    4) Montane Fireball Verso: the insulation used is not the common Primaloft Silver but the new Primaloft Silver insulation Active, Primaloft's answer to Polartec Alpha or Toray's 3DeFX+.
    5) Montane Hi-Q with Primaloft Gold Luxe: I find it strange to hear it's exclusive to Montane, yet to see it in a few pieces of other brands also. BTW, Luxe looks like a slitghly improved version of Thermoball, also made by Primaloft.

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Locale: Steiermark

1) I realise SDP is by no means new, in fact, I mentioned it in my own article last year:
    https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process#.VQGM8FJ0wdA
    It is the Saxon Jacket that is new this year, and it is lighter than other SDP jackets from Keela. I raise the subject of SDP again in order to point out that the technology is getting lighter.
    2) I do not suggest that only Toray is using 3DeFX+. In my own article last year, I made it clear that stretch insulation itself was by no means new.
    3) The 3M rep said it was a continuous fibre.
    4) From the Montane workbook:
    – 40g PRIMALOFT® SILVER insulation for
    super packable warmth and gossamer
    weight
    5) The Montane Rep said that Primaloft Gold Luxe is exclusive to Montane. I do not venture to say how good any of these new types of synthetic insulation are, I think we will be waiting a few years before we can say with more clarity how they perform.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

No problem. Just to help some to have a clearer picture.
    1) SDP: just to say that it exists for maybe 10 years (or longer) and the fact that only a few brands have pickt it up, tells maybe something. Is it getting lighter ? Sure, but nearly everything is.
    2) oh, I just wanted to say that Pata's 'mysterious' Fullrange insulation is simply 3DeFX+.
    3) from their press release: "3M announced today the launch of 3M Thinsulate Featherless Insulation, a new loose fill insulation alternative to natural down…"
    4) I have the workbook too and it's faulty about this. Better info on OM: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/montane-gets-new-more-breathable-primaloft/13936.html
    5) the rep was wrong

;-)

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

> the fact that only a few brands have pickt it up, tells maybe something. Is it getting lighter ? Sure, but nearly everything is.
    I also pointed out that Keela's claims for their SDP technology are, as yet, untested by BPL staff. If there is a noticeable improvement in comparison to a single membrane, and the garments are now coming in below 500g, then they may become an option more people are willing to consider.

Matt

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

One BPL that would surprise me big time as even there's quite some discussion on a rain shell of maybe 250g. "Is 250g not unnecesserally heavy ?" :-)

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

Can someone smarter than me explain how reversing a jacket can change its wind resistance/breath-ability?

I could see having the more wind-resistant face to the outside would make it warmer, but its the same two fabrics that air has to be pushed through.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

My guess is its not so much about total breathability, but rather than by exposing the insulation to a greater amount of wind/airflow its total insulation effectiveness will be reduced (greater rate of air changes). This would make it feel cooler.

There is a (probably slight) chance that by doing this, the airflow over the now inner, less breathable fabric will be ever so slightly increased. Increasing the airflow over a membrane will increase the rate it can breath, ever so slightly. For this to be effective the other fabric and the insulation would have to put up a rather pitiful amount of resistance to wind.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> explain how reversing a jacket can change its wind resistance/breath-ability?
    I scratched my head over that one as well.
    A bit warmer, sure, possible.

Cheers

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Pretty disappointed to hear montane going over to goretex. One of the attractive things about the company was their eVent options. I hope RAB and others are sticking with eVent…

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Oh well, aren't we searching constantly for something more comfortable ? Whether event, gore-tex, neoshell or something else, I personally don't care. Event had the name of the most comfortable (for a rainshell). Now there's also GTX Pro. And what will bring the future ?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Sounds like the Berghaus Hypertherm.

Evan Davies

@evand

Locale: Wales

And the Inov-8 Thermoshell

John DeMorris
    BPL Member

@bulwyf

Locale: West TX

Matthew thanks for the very informative report on ISPO 2015. The Rab Flashpoint jacket looks promising. I hope to read a BPL review of it soon!

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Hi John,
    glad you liked the article. Parts 2 and 3 should be out in the next two weeks. When the articles are finished I will forward company contact details to the relevant parties at BPL, I like to get the articles done first. After that, who knows.
    Matt

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools