Topic

Chicken Colcannon Mashed Potatoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Chicken Colcannon Mashed Potatoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

It is Tater Tuesday (or somethin')…..

This recipe is a bit of a twist on mashed potatoes. It features chicken, chicken gravy and a lot of vegetables. It is a dish that will stick with you. It also isn't overly salty either (in the range of 600 mgs or so of sodium).

The recipe features Simply Organic's Roasted Chicken gravy mix, though you can use any brand you prefer. SO's doesn't have MSG and is not as salty. You can find SO's line in many grocery stores or natural food stores.

This was a fun recipe as I finally got to use the cabbage that came in my Harmony House Food's Super Sampler! Someday I will tire of using HHF's products, just hasn't happened yet ;-) http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com

Chicken Colcannon Mashed Potatoes:

In a quart freezer bag put:

3/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
    2 Tbsp dry milk
    1 Tbsp dried carrots
    1 tbsp dried cabbage
    1 Tbsp dried onion
    1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
    2 tsp organic chicken gravy mix
    1 tsp dried chives
    1/2 tsp diced dried garlic
    couple grinds black pepper

Also take a 3 ounce can of chicken

Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water, stirring well. Put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Stir again and serve.
    Serves 1 large appetite for dinner, 2 for lunch.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PS: A bit of hot sauce added will give it a kick!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sarah – another use for the dried cabbage is in a soup with some of the tomato bits that come in the harmonyhouse sampler. Then add whatever else appeals to you for flavor – onions, bouillon, peppers, chili powder, dried beans, dehydrated hamburger, etc. I plan to try your tater recipe this evening, even though it's already Thursday!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Kathleen, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking about making! Too funny!
    I have been craving a veggie soup lately, and I was thinking yesterday that cabbage would make it tasty!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools