Topic

Tarp size when used with a bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp size when used with a bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    S P

@highaltitude

For solo use, with a light weight water resistant bivy, what tarp or size tarp do you use?

I have an ID 8×10 silnylon flat tarp but it would be nice to use something smaller and save some weight.

Is a 5'x8' poncho tarp really big enough in a down pour with proper site selection?

I don't have any experience with spinnaker or cuben fabric. How does it compare to silnylon as far as tear strength and abrasion resistance?

Looks like I need to go buy some cheap plastic sheeting and experiment a little.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Maybe, the constant answer. The lower and flatter the tarp is pitched the better the coverage, but the less livable it is. A poncho will keep you warm and dry with good site selection, but you will not always be able to sit up.

Was that vague enough?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

For me, length is more of an issue then width – I'm a tall skinny guy…My tarp/poncho measures 55" x 110". I can pitch it right to the ground (guessing 30" height or so) with my poles fully collapsed and still "slither" inside when the weather gets really nasty. I'd get a smaller one, but really, with the crazy light weights of some fabric nowadays, it's hardly worth it. A 5×8 is wider then my setup, so IMO you should be good to go – however, the length would stop ME from using it (how tall are you?)…gotta have room to put your boots too!

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Golite Poncho Tarp measures: 8 ft 8 in x 4 ft 10 in
    is big enough for my 5 ft 11

I've used it with Bozeman Mountain Works VAPR Bivy Sack

Excellent results for me so far.

I'm looking forward to trying Mountain Laurel Designs Silnylon Pro Poncho – its shape tapers front to rear (67’ wide front / 55” wide rear / 9’ (108”) Long). Should be getting it soon per the shipping estimate when I ordered it.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I cut my 8×10 foot tarp down to 6×10 feet. It saved 25% of the original weight, and provides plenty of coverage for me and my gear in any weather. I also have a Golite poncho tarp, and when pitched it's just not quite long enough unless I "raise" the edges about 6 inches off the ground. (I'm 6-2.)

R Yee

@lighter

It's the size I use with my ID Unishelter & it's fine. The Unishelter is enough for most conditions on its own, the tarp is mainly for dry entry/exit & cooking. With the setup shown below, I stayed dry in heavy rain & 50mph winds overnight in Patagonia.Unishelter under 8x5 siltarp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools