Topic

No need for a bivy with Momentum quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear No need for a bivy with Momentum quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Am I right in assuming that I don't need a bivy if I do the following…

1) Make my quilt out of Momentum.
    2) Sew the insulation only to the inside layer of Momentum, keeping the outside fabric un-punctured.
    3) Make it wide enough to tuck under me to reduce drafts.

I'd be sleeping under a spacious tarp, with a Polycro ground cloth.

Also, Momentum is highly wind resistant right?

David Wills

@willspower3

aside from bug protection, a bivy is unnecessary. if you have a spacious tarp (6×9 at least), you don't necessarily need to only sew to the liner, but it could help some. Having some permanent way to stop drafts like buckles or lines that tighten the quilt will help with drafts, but i haven't found a need for them yet. it would be best just to test out your preferences in inclimate weather because everyone is different, as are peoples' definitions of 'necessary'.

I still haven't figured out why people are so adamant about bivies with quilts and small tarps. I think if you are having draft problems, you should convert your quilt to a topbag (lighter, more breathable and just as protective if you use the aforementioned construction) and if you are worried about splash, you should bring adequate shelter in the first place.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I won't be chilled by high winds in a Momentum bag like I would in a regular sleeping bag right? (I mean from wind coming through the fabric).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools