Topic

Catskills Weekend or “that bin in the closet… oh, that’s my backpacking gear, i should use it!”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Catskills Weekend or “that bin in the closet… oh, that’s my backpacking gear, i should use it!”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I'm looking to head deeper into New York State, maybe the Catskills?? for a weekend backpacking adventure. looking to cover 10-12 miles a day in April. any suggestions?

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

From a few trips in the Catskills, I remember Panther Mtn, having an amazing view.

I don't have the NY/NJ Trail Conference maps on hand anymore, but I bet you could work it into a long enough hike. Though I'm not sure what the snow conditions would be in April — as I remember that had a lot of stone steps going up.

Do you care about a loop, out-and-back or can you do a car shuttle?

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i don't mind loops or out and backs. i'm typically a solo hiker, so shuttles are difficult.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Steve, with all the trails in the Catskills it's hard to believe that there are so few loops.

However, take a look at this map which would meet most of your requirements. I added the black line to suggest how to extend the hike for more distance. Parking/start/end would be at the Woodland Valley parking area.

I would suggest late April because there was so much snow up there this winter it'll take longer to melt. Keep an eye on this page for fairly current trail condition reports.

There might be a parking fee at Woodland Valley by then, but I'm nor sure about that. However, as I recall it is a very modest charge.

M M
    Spectator

@bestiole

You may also consider the classic Devil's path. It has nice views from a couple of summits. You can have a taxi ride from Smiley Transport in Tannersville for about 75$ between the trailheads of Prediger Road and Spruceton Road.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools