Topic

Alpackarafts.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Alpackarafts.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Jack M
    Spectator

@theanimal

What's going on here? Alpacka Raft still has it's original site and name up. Have they changed their name?

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Anyone here had a chance to play with one of the prototypes?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Too bad there's not a 'ghost' version of the Curiyak.

Alpacka's sure got a lot of new stuff going on. Ghost, Mule, Gnu, Alpackalypse…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Alpacka had a Ghost proto at the APA Roundup this past summer, and it was very impressive. While I can't imagine the fabric will hold up to too much abuse, it will hold just as high an inflation pressure as the normal Alpackas, which means it should paddle much better than the other UL packrafts (Supair, Klymit, etc).

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

you think it could be used for floating rivers (e.g., class II) as long as someone brought along a patch kit?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

It's the exact size and shape as the Scout, so there's no question it could be paddled well and fast when necessary. Big water class II would be no problem, but I wouldn't take it on a shallow river. The floor on the proto was thin.

David Beechey
    BPL Member

@imp

Locale: UK

I received my Ghost the other day.

Amazingly small pack size and 700 grams with 4 additional grab loops fitted. I'll be using it with a Supai Olo paddle (365g or 200g as hand paddles). As I'm 6'1" I'll have my feet dangling over the front of the bow ala Dave C. I usually paddle a Denali Llama so it will be quite different…

I'll post pictures soon.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Look forward to seeing action shots David.

David Beechey
    BPL Member

@imp

Locale: UK

The new Ghost has had it's first few gentle outings. A few hours each day for 3 days on a gentle tidal sea loch in Scotland.

Ghost

First impressions are encouraging. When packed it appears unfeasibly tiny! I forgot to get a picture of it's packed size but it is small – approx 10" by 4". The fabric is very very thin by comparison to the standard fabric of my Llama.

It inflates to a good pressure just like the mainline boats but is light enough to blow away on the breeze. This is something to note as once when I was on an island I had to take precautions to stop the boat blowing away and possibly leaving me stranded :(

Ghost / Llama comparison

It paddles well like my Llama but my seating position is very very different. Being 6'1" tall I paddle it with both legs dangling over the bow. This is surprisingly comfortable with the large rear 'bottom' of the Ghost providing a back rest. I am using a piece of closed cell foam as a makeshift seat. That might change – we will see.

Feet position

It really isn't a replacement for a 'normal' Alpacka but then again it isn't supposed to be. It wouldn't be ideal dragged over rocks / sharp wood as the fabric appears fragile but treated as it was designed – relatively calm, flat water- then I would I envisage little durability problems. I will be using it on trips where boating is a small part of the trip and then its 1000g weight penalty (700g for the raft and 350g for the Olo paddles) isn't too arduous. If rafting is going to be a major part of a trip then the Llama will come along.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools