Topic

Winter in the park 2015

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Winter in the park 2015

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharing.

I've done a couple of short ski tour trips and your photos have me itching to do more. Thumbs up for the motivation.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

All that new powder looks enticing. When are you and Skurka going to strap on fat skis and start showing clients how to crush lines? :D

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Nice! What did you use for shelters on this trip?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

re: Fat skis

Skiing up a mountain, and then down a mountain to "crush lines", can be fun. But that is more day-use territory. :) Backcountry Nordic skis, to me any way, are more like hiking and seem to go well with the type of winter backpacking I enjoy. It is also perfect for the rolling terrain we had the clients on.

Having said that, I am using my K2 waybacks for some steeper terrain tomorrow, building a snow cave and skiing down Sunday.

re: Shelters

The venerable Shangri-La was used by quite a few clients. Andrew used an SD prototype. One client had a free-standing Big Agnes. I tried an experiment with a SMD Trekker. It went OK, but not great.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools