Topic

Overnight hikes near Orlando?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Overnight hikes near Orlando?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

You guys are always great at offering hiking suggestions when I visit areas I dont know about, so I once again graciously ask for your advice.

I will be in Orlando on business the last week of March and am toying with the idea of staying the weekend to hammer out an overnighter. I did some research last night but nothing really caught my eye.

Plan would be finish work on Friday in the afternoon, drive to the trailhead and camp overnight. Start hiking on Saturday morning to return on Sunday afternoon/evening in order to catch my 11pm flight back to Toronto.

Whatcha think? Any cool overnighters in the area?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

I did some research and stumbled upon the Citrus Hiking Trail system…looks like it is about 2 hours from Orlando and offers plenty of flexibility in terms of varying loop lengths. I did read that it is relatively dry so I will have to either stash water or bring a monster container with me…not a problem either way. Any thoughts on this quick overnighter I am planning?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I wonder if you might see more if you rented a canoe or kayak. I don't know that area well but my friends seem to have better luck seeing gators and other critters paddling versus hiking in Florida.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks Luke. I was looking at some of the waterways aswell so I have some research to do. I am not nearly as strong a paddler as I am a hiker…I will keep you posted. Any other recommendations are welcome!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools