Topic

Trauma & Pepper finish their winter-thru of the PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trauma & Pepper finish their winter-thru of the PCT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I apologize if this is a repeat thread, but I saw on MLD's Facebook page that they finished today.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Last blog post was Feb 5th.

I was wondering …

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

YAAAA! Ultralight all the way for the WIN!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

double Yaaa! quite a feat for sure

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I'm glad they made it through OK..

Jack M
    Spectator

@theanimal

Well, they certainly had some favorable conditions this year. Easy for me to say sitting at home though. Impressive, nonetheless.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

But, it was still a bit chilly in the Sierras..trauma and pepper

Dave T

@davet

Picked a good year for it, but a seriously impressive achievement. Persevering and getting it done!

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

My first thought when they started was…"it isn't winter yet!" They started a month into fall so it is 2 months of fall and 2 months of winter (with one in the desert).

I know, I know…. I couldn't do it. And it is still pretty amazing. I just can't help but wonder how much harder it would have been if they started a month later. I assume that avalanche danger would be much higher and more snowpack to deal with?

It was fun following their adventure.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

gee, I wonder how much harder it would have been if it was a record snow and they did it without skis and only at night. sheeeseesss.

They Did IT!

Congrats.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Winter was forecast to be severe but kind of wimped out in the far West US.

Oh yeah, congrats to them

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Just like other thru hikers they can only hike the trail they're given. Yes, the weather worked out probably as well as it could but they took off without a clue what the weather would end up being. Interesting that they did it faster than the average summer hikers.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Greg,

I just was surprised when I first saw they were starting in October. I surmise that the dangers in the Cascades might necessitate an early start. I'm discussing their accomplishment and asking questions and you jump off the deep end with crap well beyond what I said.

I wonder if they will try for the CDT some winter.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

I thought Greg's posting was pretty funny. I know, that's a scary thought.

Congrats to Trauma and Pepper. They had some luck, sure, and they might have needed it, but forever more they will be known for accomplishing that feat first.

Jack M
    Spectator

@theanimal

The CDT would be extremely impressive. I'm not sure if it's possible since there are seriously dangerous avalanche zones in CO. Though much lesser things have been deemed impossible before. We shall see.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Jack,

That is my concern too. It is one of the reasons I think they may have started early in WA. I believe the North Cascades has some areas like that. (I could be wrong).

Dave T

@davet

Yes, from what I recall (and/or could see with all the rain and mist), there are lots of places in the Cascades I might not want to be hiking on with lots of snow and avalanche danger.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Amazing grit and fortitude!

Here is a pic I took of an elk herd about the time they were crossing through the Sisters Wilderness section.-COLD. I hope they tell their story.

.Elk

Tyler Lego

@horsefarm

Locale: WNC

So excited to hear this!! Awesome accomplishment

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I saw in an article that mentioned they went over Gabbott Pass in the Sierra which is on the SHR not the PCT. As I thought about that route choice it seemed brilliant. They likely avoided both evolution creek and bear creek while getting to cruise through Humphrey Basin and Darwin Bench on skis. It doesn't get any better than that. Does anyone have data on the actual route they took through the Sierra? (By the way, this is NOT a purist shot at them not following the trail.)

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

I love the picture of Pepper walking in the high desert with skis (boots attached) strapped to his pack.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

This is a true adventure story. Very few have done this and the time it took them was quite fast.

In this season it's as much about skill as it is proper gear. As a backountry skier I respect their accomplishment tremendously.

BTW, I have Trauma's book on backpacking gear. He certainly has the backcountry experience to do this trip.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I think one of the toughest things about their trip was likely just getting tired of being in the cold all the time. In a normal thru-hike you can have times, sometimes quite extended times of cold, but can look forward to walking into warmer conditions later.

Even on more "normal" thru-hikes, I've found myself becoming sort of mentally weary of having to tough out repeated snowy frozen mornings. For these guys, it must have been just day after day after day of getting up to frozen mornings with no hope of respite until the end.

Another factor that's easy to overlook is the amount of daylight available to you in winter hiking. Harder to do the miles when, not only are trail conditions tougher due to walking in snow in general plus likely additional navigation issues (akin to some parts of a CDT thru-hike), but when you have a lot fewer hours of daylight to do them in. And of course that leaves off the really uniquely tough and dangerous aspects of winter backpacking.

My hat’s off to them. But not for too long, as my head gets cold when I take the hat off.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools