Topic

Crampons for the Grand Canyon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Crampons for the Grand Canyon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Canode
    Spectator

@bcanode

My family is hiking the Grand Canyon in a few weeks and there is likely to be snow and ice on the trails. The backcountry office is recommending slip-on shoe traction devices. I'm looking for some recommendations. We were thinking of getting some YakTrax, but I've read mixed reviews. In the past, I've heard that you could rent them from the Market, but I don't know if this is still the case. Since we live in the desert, these will probably only be used for a one-trip so I don't want to invest a lot of money.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I wouldn't waster your $ on yaktrax- there is a reason they get mixed (more neg than positive), microspikes while more expensive simply work and work well, very well! The pair I have now has over 1500 miles of trail running on them, a few quick sharpenings (about 500 or so miles) is the only thing I've had to do to them.

microspikes would be perfect for any ice encountered in the Grand Canyon (or anywhere)

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Kahoola microspikes. If you don't need again resell here. Our experience with yaktrax left a lot to be desired. Just not very good on any kind of a grade.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

One more for Kahtoola's.

Look for the updated version (avoid old stock) they have a couple more spikes on the rear pad. You can probably look at pics on their sight to see what I mean. Stops some slipping issues they were dealing with in the first release, so I was told. Great gear. I do wish they had used a little lighter weight chain as the stuff IMO is overkill. I am going to try and lighten a set and see how they go but don't get me wrong they are fantastic on the iced hill sections of trail out here in the N. East. Almost as nice as walking on dry ground.

jimmyb

PS I recommend you bring the shoes/boots you plan to hike in most with you to fit them. My LG will fit my summer mid's as well as my winter boots. They stretch quite a bit with no issues.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I've hiked this trail several times in the winter. The top of the trail tends to be packed snow, icy and pretty darn slick due to all of the foot traffic. It seems like after 1- 1/2 mile in, the trails are pretty clear and back to dirt. At the park, they use to sell in-step cleats which worked OK and were pretty cheap (~$12). They are not as nice as other options but they are cheap and did the job.

My 2 cents – Jon

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

This works really well for me. Your cheapest option. Not so good on concrete or wood floors. When you're done, just remove the screws and your shoes back to normal.

http://www.gobroncobilly.com/how-to-screw-your-shoes/

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

DIY Studded Shoes

Yup, you can stud knobby tires like that too. Its a bit tough on the guy behind you when they start getting loose though :)

jimmyb

Kenneth Kuan
    Spectator

@kkcy93

Do they not sell crampons at the marketplace anymore? I'm gonna be there in a week, thought of getting them there but might have to rethink that if it's not sold…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

When, exactly, are you going? I get there March 7th and could update you on trail conditions. And/or handoff slip-on creepers if you want. PM me with specifics if an email or text update would be handy.

Edited to add: if timing works out and you want slip-on traction devices, I could leave them somewhere and you could mail them back.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The gift shop at the GC was selling instep campons last winter I think for $15 to 20 each. You could call ahead and ask. Did not see anyone renting crampons. I would not buy anything but Kahtoola microspikes which have the advantage of fitting over most any trail runner or boot if you get the right size. Kahtoolas are not cheap and to outfit a whole family would add up in $.

I would think an instep crampon would need a relatively stiff sole. Take hiking poles too.

As noted above, you need the traction devices only at the beginning of some of the trails where foot traffic stamps down the snow and the freeze-thaw pattern from the sun turns it to ice. IN other words, you could spend $200 on 4 or 5 pairs microspikes that spend most of their time in your pack. But when you need them, you REALLY need them.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I'm pretty sure they don't rent them at the Market but they do sell them. I'd call though — the Market has a pretty decent gear department but winter items can be pretty picked over or sold out by March. Whether they sell them or not will be moot if they don't have your size in stock.

If I were you, I would get them from somewhere like REI and leave them in the packaging until I get to the Canyon. If you don't need them, you can just return them when you get home. If there's ice on the trail, it'll be the worst at the top, so you'll know if you need them before you start hiking.

I've found it best to go to the store *with your footwear* to try them on for size. Because they go over your shoe, sizes/fit can really vary.

Do consider the weight since, at worst, you'll probably only wear them for top mile or two. You'll be carrying them for the rest of the time.

I like the Icetrekker "Diamond" model myself.

Rebecca Canode
    Spectator

@bcanode

Thanks for your replies. Living in Phoenix, I'm not sure that I will be able to find much locally. We have two growing boys (12 and 14 years old), so it would be great to find something that is not sized specifically to their current shoe size.

The plan was to hike down South Kaibab and up on Bright Angel, but we could just do Bright Angel if the trail conditions are better.

Dave, I'll send you a PM with the itinerary and if you could let us know the conditions when you get there, I would appreciate it!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Anyone know anything about Snowline Chainsen?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

More than likely all you need is instep traction since both trails may have some ice patches closer to the top, depending on precipitation/temp patterns. You won't always need to use traction and I have only used traction once in several trips there. I used sheet metal screws into my shoes. It is more time consuming but you can remove them around a break. The best might be something removable and could even be a myog project.

Cutting some appropriate rubber into rectangles, adding straps, and using sheet metal screws would be an awesome project. Probably would use 3/8" length screws at least. I wonder if gluing the rubber to some outer plastic might allow a 1/4" sheet metal screw to stay in place. That would be a David engineer question.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

So I'm getting PMs from Kenneth and Becky about sending them trail condition reports before they leave for GCNP and possibly borrowing ice creepers from me. I PM'ed Ken,

"I knew an old timer (Kenai Game Warden and Alaska Territorial Policeman #13) who would use bleach on shoe soles to soften them up and make them stickier on ice – I guess like drag racers do to soften up their tires."

and thought I'd copy it here, in case that gives anyone else ideas.

I'm also brainstorming on a totally UL approach for short stretches on slick ice:

Get some plumbers sandpaper (used to clean copper pipe, it is comes on a strong cloth backing):

sand paper

Put a grommet in each end, secure to one's shoes with a shoe lace, and use it to transverse the tricky bits.

My beach is pretty icy downslope of the freshwater steeps just now, so it's a good time for me to test a little MYOG ice creeper.

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains

My Costco is selling packages of two sets of Yaktraks-equivalent traction devices for $20, I believe.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Chad Billsby
    BPL Member

@billz107

Locale: Up North

BIG CAVEAT….I have no experience with these and there are no reviews. However, you can get 4 pairs for the price of one Kahtoola pair. Buyer beware. http://www.gearbest.com/camping/pp_116335.html

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

David,

The icy trailed is far from pristine. You can count on packed in dirt, leaves and other items int he snow. The top of the trail will be slick form all of the tourist walking (and mainly slipping) down the trail in their sneakers. Also, you will find frozen mule urine at a majority of the switchback (occasionally a mighty big pool) as well a mule poop.

I have reservations as to the effectiveness of bleach or plumbers tape. Best wishes – Jon

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

" … you will find frozen mule urine … "

… if you're lucky.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

John,

Nice links on the instructables website. They remind me of how people used to do tire chains – you wrapped a long length of chain around the rim, between the spokes, of a model-T's tires. You can still do that on modern rims. I've used it only once and with a rope rather than a chain, but to get out of a 60-foot patch of snow left in June on the north slope of a Sierra back road, it worked.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!