Topic

Spork knife?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Spork knife?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Simon Harding

@simonharding

I may have missed this, but has anyone experience with sharpening an edge of a titanium spork for use as a knife? I'd think given it is titanium, one would need to start with an angle or wheel grinder and then a file to get an edge on it. And I don;t know if a file would work on titanium. Maybe a stone instead. I like my wpork, and continue to use it in spite of having a plastic double ended spoon fork thing that likely weighs less.

Simon

Neil Bender

@nebender

If I recall correctly titanium work hardens which is why it is so difficult to machine. Grinding it should work, but I also have heard that titanium is pyrophoric so it might give off a nice shower of bright sparks that burn in the air, not the usual red specks that grinding steel gives.

I think it's worth a try; I had the thought myself but just haven't gotten around to it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> has anyone experience with sharpening an edge of a titanium spork for use as a knife?

I tried sharpening a titanium knife from a GSI cutlery set once. The result, *for the alloy they had used*, was pathetic. It was a bit like sharpening soft aluminium or soft stainless steel. I can only conclude it was a soft alloy or pure titanium.

I have also tried grinding a hard 6Al-4V titanium alloy. This stuff does grind, but you need to be a little careful as it does not behave like steel. Actually, it is as tough and hard as …

The sparks are not much of a problem in my experience.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> If I recall correctly titanium work hardens
    Not as far as I know – which may be limited.
    The good 6Al-4V alloy does not *need* to work harden … but it WILL crack if you try bending it cold.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Don't you run the risk of cutting your lip if you make an effective knife edge on your spork?

Dan Bigley

@88bluegt

I was just thinking the same thing. That would be a little too dangerous for me. Personally, I rather carry a Ti knife than run the risk of slicing my lips wide open on a trail.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools