Topic

Red Red

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

This is more of a request/suggestion rather than a recipe… sorry :(

I was in Trader Joe's and they added Organic Red Palm Oil to their shelves. I had never heard of it, but I remembered my parents mentioning a dish called "Red Red" when they were in Ghana. I correctly hypothesized that this was a key ingredient. I made the dish this weekend and it is delicious but it has a ton of oil in it.

I used this recipe: http://thespiceisland.blogspot.com/2010/04/red-red-greatest-recipe-known-to.html

I don't think I could eat this in my regular life, but it would probably make a pretty good backpacking dish. The onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and peppers would probably dehydrate pretty well. I'm guessing you would have to make it without the oil, then add it in as you rehydrate. I'm not sure about the beans. I am guessing the canned ones would dehydrate pretty well or you could use instant refried bean powder.

Has anyone ever tried this dish backpacking?

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

this looks like beans, bananas, onions, tomatoes, plus spices. Interesting combination of flavors. I wonder how dried bananas rehydrate, and I assume the sweet banana chips would not work? It might be pretty good.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

> "onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and peppers would probably dehydrate pretty well"

Those all dehydrate really well. And are available already dehydrated. I order quart containers through Amazon. Per calories or per equivalent onion/tomato, they are quite a bit cheaper than retail fresh vegetables. Plus the time savings of not slicing, dicing and drying them all yourself. $13 with free shipping:

dehydrated tomatos

Beans, too. We did a lot of dehydrated beans with quinoa, curry, powdered coconut milk, and/or veggies last month while backpacking in NZ. About 20 minutes to rehydrate (bring or innovate a pot cozy), although if you add water to them in a water bottle a few hours before dinner, you reduce the hot&seep time a fair bit. Again, quart-sized plastic jars off of Amazon for the beans. Now, the beans aren't a bargain compared to dried beans in a 1-pound bag, but they reconstitute SO much faster and are lighter to carry. And per calorie / per meal, they are a lot cheaper than freeze-dried meals. Also $13:

dehydrated beans

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

That recipe makes it look like the bananas/plantains go into the dish, but they are served on the side (or on top of the red red). You could definitely dip plantain chips into the red red. The flavor is excellent. A bit like an Indian curry.

I agree Dave. Buying dehydrated ingredients is easier and usually cheaper too. That is probably how I would do it if I was to give it a try since I don't have a dehydrator. I would just have to get the ratios right and then pulse them in a blender.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools