Topic

What is your cook kit for 2?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion What is your cook kit for 2?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

I thought it would be interesting to start a separate thread for those who like thinking about UL/SUL cook kits but also find themselves mostly traveling in groups.

I carry my 1 oz cook kit even when I go with others — but I find myself having to run it several times to make their food or they are left with carrying heavy pots. This probably isn't the case for most of you, but a lot of the people I hike with aren't avid backpackers. I like to go with my fiancee or friends on weekend trips. Do to my recurring ankle injury, I find it is dangerous for me to take a lot of solo trips anyways.

In this vain, what would your lightest setup be when cooking for two? Or even 3 or 4?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

900 ml cut-down all aluminum BPA-free flat bottom ribbed beer can pot, titanium windscreen, 4.5" stakes and dripless Esbit burner, aluminum foil base sheet and pot lid, reflectix cozy, cozy lid, mini Bic lighter = 88 g. Boils 3 cups in about 9 minutes.
    p

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Jeremy, what have you come up with since February?

I use a 32 ounce Conquistador pot with a caldera cone. The pot has a stainless steel wire bail and is insulated on the upper portion of the pot. Use esbit or alcohol.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

David,

For an efficient pot you need one that is W I D E R than it is high. The pot you pictured is too tall for its width. A Fosters beer can "pot" would be better but still not entirely efficient.

I have a CC Sidewinder for an Open Country 3 cup pot. It is not only the most efficiently shaped pot but, for ESBIT use, it is also about the max size for an efficient use of ESBIT tablets, even when using the highly efficient Caldera Cone stove.

There is a very good (and long) thread on ESBIT stoves. Check it out.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Eric,

(quote)
    A Caldera Cone for KEG with 32oz beer can will boil 4 cups with 1-1/2 fourteen gram tablets. It a nice kit for 2 people. Use the large silicone band to lower a non ribbed can down to the 1-1/2" above the esbit. I know it works with a BGET tray.

Can be seen here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=101822&startat=180

P.S. no charge for the BPA ;)

Morgan H

@photofeature

Locale: Eastern Missouri

I use the super lightweight (and likely flimsy..) grease pot with a canister stove. The pot holds 32 ounces with some head room. Weighs about 3oz and costs $10 on Amazon.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

evernew 1.3. usually large tealight for burner, sometimes cannister.

The only person I will share gear with is my son.
    We share a few items so the extra wt doesnt matter.
    shelter, FAK, cooking, etc.

Earl Gilbert
    Spectator

@egilbe

SP 1.4 liter pot with a caldera cone. Has enough room that we can have each have a cup of hot cocoa or coffee and enough to cook a knorr's side or instant oatmeal.

Cornelius Jaeger
    BPL Member

@sweetenough

How did you make the cone if I may ask?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools