Topic

Need help finding a venue for a scout backpacking trip, for a Delaware based troop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Need help finding a venue for a scout backpacking trip, for a Delaware based troop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

Can anyone recommend a good backpacking location say within 100 miles of Newark Delaware?
    I would prefer a loop 18 to 20 miles with camping near the start (Fri.) and a little past half way (Sat.). Shuttling cars has been an issue in past trips, so I'd really like to avoid if possible. I thought I had a good location in MD (Susquehana River loop from backpacker mag.) but mid hike camping did not exist. There will likely be about 15 boys and 4 or 5 adults.

Reply here or PM me. Thanks in advance.

Yours in Scouting,
    Cliff

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Not my area but check out this website for ideas. http://www.midatlantichikes.com

Hope this helps.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

Appalachian Trail

Newark to Duncannon, PA = under 100 miles
    Newark to Palmerton, PA = about 115 miles

Between Duncannon and Palmerton is 110 miles of AT. There are a fair number of road crossings in this section for shorter trips.

Check out "Map of long trails" at fivemillionsteps.com

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I was going to suggest a portion of the AT in that region as well. It's 89 miles to where the AT crosses RT 501 north of Bethel, PA. I could possibly help with shuttling cars if you needed some help because I'm only about 45 minutes from there. A hike from Rte. 501 to Rte. 61 (near Cabela's) is about 24 miles.

I've only hiked a little bit around Rte. 501 so I can't tell you about campsites, but you should be able to find some info about those.

Will Webster

@willweb

Due to heavy use, group size on the AT is limited to 25 on day hikes, 10 on overnights.
    https://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/families-groups

Thanks from a maintainer for honoring this LNT restriction.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

I do agree on the group size suggestion. I would tend to split the group mentioned in two with groups starting at each end. This way not shuttles are needed, just an exchange of vehicle keys at the crossing point.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

That's a good idea Ed…I like the way you think!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools