Topic

Topquilt used as an underquilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Topquilt used as an underquilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

Does anyone have experience with using a topquilt as an underquilt? I would like to purchase an undquerquilt to pair with my Hammock Gear Burrow 20F. I can get it to connect to my hammock as an underquilt, but the manufacturer states that baffle construction is not idea.

Is there a brand of topquilt you think works better as an underquilt than others? Any experience with this for 3 season setup?

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I have used my Burrow 20 as an underquilt occasionally, with a cheapo MYOG synthetic topquilt. I only take that setup down to about 50º, so it works out just fine. But that's just me jerry-rigging with stuff I already have.

If you're purchasing a new quilt specifically for use as an underquilt, why not get an actual underquilt?

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

The reason I would like to purchase one that works in both situations is because I am buying to to sort of play two roles. When my wife and I hammock together — we will need a top and bottom quilt, but I would like her to have a quilt for when we go to the ground.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Ah, that makes sense. But topquilts, besides not being differentially baffled, are typically narrower than underquilts, which could present a problem if you're using it in a two-person hammock.

What temps are you looking at? You might want to consider making something similar like a surplus poncho liner UQ.

To answer your original question, btw, no. There aren't any top-quilts out there that are better designed for use as an underquilt than others (although obviously sewn footboxes are a total no-go). I had HammockGear add an extra pair of grossgrain loops to the head of my quilt to make it easier to attach, and you might consider doing the same, but topquilt baffling and underquilt baffling are designed to serve different needs.

So long as you're well above the temp rating, it doesn't really matter. But a 20º topquilt used as an underquilt in 20º weather will make you unhappy.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Thank you for that direction to a UQ liner!

We have been able to successfully share a quilt while hammocking in the past because we are both very slim. We get away with using a Doublenest ENO – which weighs around 32 oz with the straps (there are lighter hammocks, but since we split the weight it still comes out light).

Thank you for your insight! I will probably just bite the bullet and wind up getting multiple quilts lol.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Apex Climashield could be the solution!

The apex climashield insulation is essentially a blanket of insulation which uses no baffles. If you added snaps (like are on hammock gear TQs) to the EE Prospect or the AHE new river underquilt, would there be a big diffference between it and MLD Spirit or the EE Prodigy? The only difference I can think of is the tapered design of the TQs.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

For years Jacksrbetter has offered just what you're looking for. I use their Hudson River as an UQ, and have used it as a loaner TQ for friends.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

I don't know why it took me so long to come across this quilt! I have been reading a bunch of forums trying to find basically this quilt lol. Thank you

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools