Topic

Another weight consideration…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2015 at 8:03 am

How much water do you need to drink on the trail?

On our trip to Death Valley, we took what we hoped would be enough water for the two of us for an overnight backpacking trip: Slightly more than a gallon per person for 24 hours. In terms of water bottles, it was 14 quarts, and that turned out to be about right. We drank three quarts during our hike to the campsite (this was, after all, Death Valley) and then used another three quarts for dinner. And then used another two quarts for breakfast the next day…and drank two more on the way out. So we drank ten quarts (five quarts per person) over the 24 hours of the hike. We were a little under-hydrated on the first day, as we were hiking in the afternoon sun. And we had some water left over (which is not a bad thing in the desert). If we were to do it again, we’d probably take about the same.

In the Sierra, of course, you can fill your water bottles along the way. We generally only take four quart bottles for the two of us on those hikes. We always camp near water, so we don’t need to worry about carrying the water for dinner or breakfast. And we start the day with four full bottles—enough to get us through lunch and into dinner. Some people prefer to carry less weight, and may only carry one bottle per person—or even hike from stream to lake and drink what’s available. But we don’t like to take the time to pump and filter while we are on the trail—we prefer to hike. So we carry a little extra weight, and stop less often to pull out our water filter.

Either way works, as long as you keep drinking enough water.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2015 at 8:36 am

You need to be careful when dealing with Death Valley water. In some places, there is water present, but it is heavily laden with mineral salts. Some of those are bad for you. Also, they will screw up a water filter.

OTOH, there were some places where the spring water was cold and clear, and we didn't even bother to treat it at all.

It almost seems like in Death Valley, the whole key is in having enough empty water bottles to fill.

–B.G.–

Alex H BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2015 at 8:44 am

For desert trips up to about 90* 5 quarts/liters a day has always been the right amount for me. If cooler (below mid 70's) then 4 works fine. If it is really hot then it can be 6-9. Everyone is different on this.

George F BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2015 at 10:54 am

Even in wetter terrain I carry 2 1L bottles, if not always full. This lets me top up in the afternoon, camp and go a couple of hours into the next morning. I like the flexibility of not being tied to camping by water sources.

Jake D BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2015 at 1:39 pm

For the White mtns i usually carry 2x 1L bottles and a 1.5L evernew bag for my filter. Usually only need to have 1L filled unless it is a long stretch above treeline in the summer, then i'll fill up 2L. all depends on the route and distance. I don't drink a ton so it is usually less than others.

Bob Shaver BPL Member
PostedFeb 23, 2015 at 9:07 pm

We take 4-5 L each for a short overnight hike where there is absolutely no water.

Hiking in the mountains I take 1 L, and at water stops I drnk at least 1 L, and carry one for the trail.

R Banks BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2015 at 9:28 am

On The desert section of the PCT I carried 3-4 litres for 25 mile stretches. This worked great for me. I tend to camel up at water sources, and carry less, but HYOH

PostedFeb 25, 2015 at 11:12 am

Outsider Magazine did a piece of Death Valley in November. They said the extreme conditions there warrant some extra water considerations. The guide consulted recommended keeping a minimum 5 gallons reserve water in the trunk of your car at all times. Not including the 1 gallon per day per person you actually plan to carry. He was recommending a bunch of off-trail day hikes though.

My old g/f was an Arizona nurse ;). She use to lecture me that alot of out of staters make the mistake of carrying two gallons of water, but no electrolytes. She sees a decent number of "water poisoning" cases every year. And for that reason recommends mixing gatoraid powder for desert travel.

For non-desert hikes:
Over the last year, I've started to notice more advanced guys carry less water to lighten the load. By chugging water in the morning and "cameling"I've been able to drop my normal backpack liters from 3L to 1-2 liters depending on distance.

I also like the water per distance calculations more than water per day. An old athletic trainer also once told me the human body has trouble absorbing more than 1 liter per hour. the rest you pee out. So I try to keep this in mind for my "Cameling".

For HOT weather thru hiking, it seems like you can minimize the water you need by hiking early, and taking a "siesta" at midday.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2015 at 11:17 am

"My old g/f was an Arizona nurse"

How old was she?

–B.G.–

PostedFeb 25, 2015 at 11:41 am

"Some people prefer to carry less weight, and may only carry one bottle per person—or even hike from stream to lake and drink what’s available. But we don’t like to take the time to pump and filter while we are on the trail—we prefer to hike. So we carry a little extra weight, and stop less often to pull out our water filter."

I switched water treatment methods for exactly this reason. I was using a Sawyer Squeeze with the included bladder, but I found myself carrying more water than necessary because I didn't like to take the time to stop and filter more. Now I use either a SteriPEN (quick and simple, I can even do it while walking), or a Sawyer Mini attached to a SmartWater bottle. The latter is the easiest—just dip and drink—but the SteriPEN is better if I'm using mixes like Gatorade.

So that's something to think about. Even if you need an external battery pack (for a long trip), that weight can be justified by the reduction in water carried.

PostedFeb 25, 2015 at 11:53 am

How long does it take to filter with a sawyer squeeze? I use the original sawyer and it take me less than 2 minutes to filter 1l by gravity. The steripen takes at least a minute to to do the same, right? 2 minutes seems quick to me. And I don't mind the short rest.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...