Topic

AntiGravityGear TarpTent REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable AntiGravityGear TarpTent REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Companion forum thread to:

AntiGravityGear TarpTent REVIEW

Dev Anand
    BPL Member

@anand_dev

Locale: Wanowrie

How does this compare with tarptent's contrail?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I particularly liked the video pan of the interior. It provided the next best to actual hands-on inspection making a purchasing decision more informed. Hopefully this will be used more in future reviews. Good critique Will.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Hey great video. Nice way to spend your time hunkered down in the rain. I just purchased the 9' Brawny Tarp from Anti Gravity that has no netting, and the beak does go all the way to the ground. It does not have the two upper side pull outs either, but it does have the one at the back. It does have side pull outs, but they are centered along the bottom of the side edges. In other words they are between the corner tie-outs and require two more stakes. If you look at the picture in the above review that has the supporting pole in the rear, you will see that the tie-out loop is in a "flat" position. All the tie-outs are in this position. Therefore, if you want to get a stake in them, you have to twist them. This also twists the fabric. Therefore, you have to put a line through the loop to add a loop for a stake. This could be the loop of an added extension line. Is the same true in the tarp in the review? The beak also has the same issue as your poncho/beak gap. There is no zipper or any clear way of closing the opening between the sides of the beak which is alos the door. The best way to close it , I found, is to cross the two ends of the beak over each other. They both have peg loops. This means you need even more stakes, however. In the reviewd tarp, I do like the way the netting can be rolled back when not needed. Again, nice pictures and especially the video. Bring on Utube! One of the nice features of the tarp is that it really does pack small.

George Andrews

@tinman-1

Locale: Coastal NC

Will,
    Thanks for the fine review. The video was an excellent touch.

I would like to offer a few points of clarification to your review. The TarpTent is meant to be as light as humanly possible and still provide a bathtub floor and useful bug protection. It is a minimalist tent. The requirements are it has to be tough and practical. There are no bells and whistles to add weight, no heavy zippers or hardware to jam and break. Above all, it must not fail on the trail.

The AGG Tarp Tent is not meant to be an all-things-for-all-people shelter. There are some other very fine shelters out there that also fit specific needs and hikers should hike the gear that best fits their needs. The AGG TarpTent is designed to provide the most shelter for the least weight at a reasonable price. I would not set up on an unsheltered ridge. Nor would I use it in a snow storm. However both are possible. I have photos of Alan and Ryan and Glen camping in a blizzard using only tarps. Your suggestion of "Choosing a sheltered location is highly recommended" is very good advice to keep in mind with lighter weight shelters.

The beak is adequate for light to moderate rain. The Poncho Villa or Vestibule are meant to cover blowing or gusting rain protection. The beak has intentionally not been extended because, once you add a larger beak, the weight is permanent and you can't leave it at home for a mild-weather excursion. We have tried to make it as versatile as possible with the accessories.

The gap you experienced between the Poncho Villa and the front of the TarpTent is not there if using poles with baskets. The loop on the Poncho is meant to go over the pole tip and be held at the top of the pole by the basket. You can get the same effect with your no-basket poles by placing the Poncho loop at the top of the PVC tip holder. Try that next time and you will find it closes the gap. I suggest a 1" to 1 1/4" long piece of 1/2" diameter PVC tube inserted into to the tip holder to provide further stability for the pole if using basket-less poles. I hate to add the weight but am probably going to make the PVC extension standard just for that reason. Those pesky grams add up. :)

A note about condensation…With the Vestibule or Poncho Villa in place and opened up half way, one user reported the wind tumbles over the poncho half and the resulting turbulence reduces condensation.

The suggested improvements in the report are worth their weight in gold. You know it's expensive for a small mom and pop type business to send gear for evaluation. Your comments make it all worthwhile. I spent most of the day yesterday in the shop sewing up options for field testing after reading your review.

Thanks again!

George (Tin Man) Andrews
    AntiGravityGear

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

And THAT is what I love about this place! :D

Tom

Shawn Wandell
    Spectator

@stwandell

Locale: Too close to lights

Would like to see this video, doesn't appear to be hosted any longer. Anyone here have it? Thanks in advance.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools