Topic

Grid Fleece Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Grid Fleece Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I was looking at Melanzana fleeces today and noticed that they are made with the grid facing out. Is there a reason for this? All the grid fleece I've used has had the textured side facing the skin. All I can guess is that having the smooth side in makes it better for layering when used as a midlayer rather than as a baselayer?

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I have several of their items, LOVE the micro grid dress. I've been living in that all winter with fleece leggings. I was also concerned when I first got them, but no problems. It's a great mid layer or base. Very comfy and warm.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

grid out wicks/dries better than grid in, but is less warm when worn without a shell.

I have confirmed this is true for me with my own Grid base layer top which is designed to worn grid in.

Paramo do the same with their grid baselayers.

(http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/paramo-launches-new-grid-baselayers/9151.html)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the reasons for grid/fuzz/bumps inside is for …

– capillary action in denier gradient fabrics so that the moisture will wick outwards better

– reduced "dampness" next to the skin, is the moisture next to the skin that really matters and gives that "cold when wet" feeling

as to on the outside … basically it allows the heat to and perhaps the moisture to radiate/evaporate faster due to the greater surface area exposed

most good modern mid-heavy weight base/mid layers have some kind of grid/bump/fuzz on the inside, even if its pretty small to the casual glance

;)

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I have the Melanzana Micro Grid Hoody and it is a little bit different from other fleeces I've seen. The fleece, overall, is very thin, but adds a non-insignificant amount of warmth and comfort, somewhere around the Cap4 and R1 that we all know and love. The inside fabric is brushed fleece, very soft and fleecy against the skin, more akin to the "tufts" in Cap4. The outside is closely sheared, grid pattern that looks similar to a miniaturized R1 style. Unlike the R1 and Cap4 there is no "hard face" — both sides are brushed with the inside being more aggressively brushed than the outside.

I like it better, generally speaking, since it is a trim but loose fit, but for times when I expect to wear a long sleeved, hooded fleece fulltime the R1 takes precedence for its long hem and wrist gaiters.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Ah, this all makes sense. Increased evaporation–good point. Nice to know that it's brushed on the inside.

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

I wear it anytime it's cool enough here in Florida. My wife liked it so much I had to get her one. I am very skinny and it fits very well without being tight.

I really like the design of the hood. You can have the neck area open, have it tight around the neck, wear it on the head but open, tightened up to the chin, covering your mouth, and finally buttoned all the way up do only your eyes are exposed.

It's great for sleeping in my quilt. Couldn't recommend it enough and it seems to be a good value compared to similar fleeces.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools