Topic

Somewhat OT: Larger Tarps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Somewhat OT: Larger Tarps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

Not really an ultralight question, but I expect some of the gearheads here can help anyhow. Our Troop needs to replace a bunch of old dining flies that are at the end of their useful life. Much as I like the tie to tradition, this time around we're going to ditch the canvas and go with something lighter.

So…for a 12×15 or 12×18 tarp, what would you use? Silnylon? Poly? Suggested suppliers? We'd like to get a few years hard use out of them, and good rain and sun resistance (as well as boy resistance) is a must.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've heard that good old blue tarps work great, they are tough and last a long time. And they are really cheap, if one gets trashed it's not a big deal.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Maybe you could buy a roll of Tyvek from Home Depot and have the scouts make some tarps themselves? Could be a great experience for them. With one 9' x 150' roll, you can make a LOT of tarps. Probably about $200-250 for Tyvek, tape, and grommets (or whatever you choose for tie outs), and you'll get at least five 12' x 18' tarps out of that.

EDIT: As you may already know, Tyvek is pretty tough stuff, and would likely last quite awhile even with scout use. :)

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Do you backpack with them ever? How much sun? How much folding?

The heavier silver tarps (like the blue tarps but more durable, used on the farm etc) are a great bargain. Folding eventually causes leaks, but they will last a long time before that.

http://www.coversuperstore.com/farm-industrial.html

Nylon is stronger, lighter, more compact and more flexible, but more expensive and is effected by lots of bright sun. The heavier the denier and the heavier the coating the longer lasting (be sure to get a solvent based coating). I had some scrap 210 denier urethane coated nylon that lasted several years covering my wood pile.

For purely sun, you can get mesh shade tarps that last a looong time in the sun and let breezes thru. Very durable. heavy. Knitted won't fray if you get a hole in it.

http://www.agriculturesolutions.com/products/agricultural-fabrics/shade-cloth-fabric

None of these is as heavy as canvas.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools