Topic

If Only Someone Made A…..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If Only Someone Made A…..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'd rather have a real pack and protect it with a duffle. Given the habits of airline baggage handlers, a lightweight pack would get ripped, etc. The exterior pockets and straps that make a pack usable would suffer too. I have a couple travel packs, and they are okay, but I've only used them as packs while walking shorter distances to get from a train station to a hotel for example. Ultimately, they end up being heavier luggage and poor packs.

Patagonia makes an UL messenger bag that would be great for a carry on and around town. I prefer a shoulder bag in the city as they are better on buses, subways, negotiating crowds, etc. Wearing a backpack on a crowded subway car leaves you wiping the nose of the person behind you and getting a lesson in cussing in the local language:)

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

>Wearing a backpack on a crowded subway car leaves you wiping the nose of the person behind you and getting a lesson in cussing in the local language:)

OK, now I HAVE to have a travel pack :D

Tom

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Dale are you talking about the: Lightweight Travel Courier (near bottom of list)?

Alan Marcum

@ammpilot

Locale: SF Bay Area

A bunch of folks have written regarding a sub-2lb or sub-3lb double-wall tent. Check out Stephenson's Warmlite. Small outfit in New Hampshire, 50 years old, single- and double-wall tents. Specs on the 2-person single-wall tent: 2 1/3 lbs; on the double-wall: 2 3/4 lbs. They also have a "compact" version, for climbers, that sheds a couple more ounces.

I am VERY pleased with my tent (a 2R: 2-person, double-wall). I've used it in the winter, too: it's great in wind when pitched properly. And it's plenty roomy, too.

http://www.warmlite.com is their Web site. (My only affiliation: a very happy customer.) See also the reader reviews.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I love how the owners of warmlite are a wee bit exhibitionist.

Never before have I seen a catalog with various people naked! It's not offensive at all, quite the contrary, (I wouldn't mind testing out that sleeping bag on page 9 ;) and for some reason it seems to make sense. They are obviously some open minded, laid back individuals.

I'd bet that Jack and Joan have had some pretty memorable camping trips in their day! Good for them! It's refreshing to see such down home (naked) people making great products!

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I want a wide-brimmed hat whose brim is covered with flexible, durable, and effective solar collecting material of some sort, to trickle power to a battery or directly to whatever power-hungry device(s) I might carry on a trip.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

While one company obviously can't just make a copy of another company's design, what if Mountain Laurel Designs, using 2 layer event and 1.35 silnylon, made an ID Unishelter?
    How much less do you suppose it would weigh?

Mr E J Meechan

@edsfp

If only someone made a…

Cuben Fiber vapor barrier suit. I'd like one with a hooded jacket, but no zip, something like the absolute minimalist design of the BrawnyGear Rain Suit. And Cuben Fiber vapor barrier mitts and socks as well.

And as a bivy sack doesn't need to be breathable if you're using it in conjunction with vapor barrier clothing, I'd like one made completely of Cuben Fiber too. It would weigh less than a breathable bivy sack, and would also be completely windproof, thereby reducing heat loss by convection.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools