Topic

Quilt combination questions! HELP!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Quilt combination questions! HELP!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

Hello! I have been using Hammock Gear Topquilts for a little over a year now, but I am just starting to get into using it for hammock.

I know there is never really a "one size fits all" setup because there are so many different scenarios — but I am looking for something that covers as much as possible.

I am considering selling my HG Burrow 20F to buy two synthetic fill quilts from EE, which will expand my gear to fit better for wet conditions.

I live in East TN, therefore the average lows are mid 20s. Most of those temps I do not spend the night outside – therefore the lowest temps I need to be prepared for is mid 20s to mid 30s.

I would like my top/under quilt setup to cover as many temps as I can – do you think I should go with a 20F combination or a 30F combination? I also expect to use the JRB 11×10 hammock tarp. I do like using my top quilt as sleeping bag for ground setup.

I was also considering going 30F top and 20F under or vica versa – any opinions?
    Up to what temperatures would you use a 20F or 30F quilt combination?

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

Is it: a 20 degree/40 degree top quilt combo vs. 30 degree/50 degree combo?

Do you tend to sleep warm or cool? Has the Burrow been too warm or just right?

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Sorry, I am all over the place.

I am considering a few options:

1. Keeping my 20F top quilt and adding an underquilt. I could add a 20, 30, or 40 underquilt. I have never used an underquilt personally.

2. Selling my 20F quilt and buying a different top quilt- 20 or 30 degree synthetic.

My question is what combination of bottom and top quilt temps would cover me down to the 30s? I would wear clothing to sleep down in the lower temps. If I had say a 20F top and 30F under, I could use the underquilt as a topquilt when it gets warmer.

My 20F has been great into the 20s as well as in the 50s. I am not quite sure what is too hot for me to use this quilt.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

"If I had say a 20F top and 30F under, I could use the underquilt as a topquilt when it gets warmer."

For that you'd need to get a full-length quilt, as opposed to the various shorter underquilt options.

Anyone (Tim, Peter) know how closely matched Hammock Gear and EE's ratings are, i.e. is a 20 degree Burrow pretty on par w/a 20 degree Prodigy? Cause that might be your most useful bit of info.

The prevailing wisdom I've heard is go more conservative on the underside insulation.

(Personally I'm trying CCF in a double-layer hammock this summer, as I had trouble keeping a Warbonnet under quilt in place)

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

By conservative you mean more warmth on the bottom?
    Might a 30 top and 20 under be better?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I question the synthetic vs down choice – if you are not hiking day after day in humid conditions where it would be impossible to dry the quilts, down would be fine. it's hard to truly wet out down. the advantage of synthetic is not that it's warmer when wet, but that it dries faster. Treated down is supposed to close that gap somewhat. Wet synthetic is miserable – whatever you have, it's important to keep it dry.

I would choose the 20 degree setup, as it is always possible to vent quilts. my 25f setup is working well even above 50. My quilts open flat and sticking out a foot makes a difference.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

By conservative you mean more warmth on the bottom?

Yes

Might a 30 top and 20 under be better?

Frankly I don't think the 10 degree difference in rating is going to make a big difference in versatility. I'd drop the combo plan and start by getting a partial-length dedicated under quilt, and do both at whatever rating you determine is best for your situation.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

but nothing awful is going to happen if you use your current 20 degree quilt on top and a 30 degree underneath!

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

I am leaning towards getting a 30F setup all together rather than a 20F setup. The 20 would let me go colder more comfortably, but in TN I am more likely to go when it is warmer than I am to go when it is cold. The 10F difference is taken from the lower part of the range and added to the higher, which is more likely when I am to go.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

There are almost just too many options. I am going to try testing my HG top quilt as an underquilt – someone told me that when they have a warm underquilt they are surprised at how little they need for a topquilt.

20 under 30 over
    20 under 40 over
    30 under 30 over

Then there is length. 55 inch, 65, or 75? It may not be of much consequence, but for some reason there is a block in my mind about using a 3/4 underquilt. It seems like the pad would be slippery and why would I want the pad if I can have a longer quilt?

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

…I would keep the 20* top and purchase a 20* bottom. If you already carry a sit pad on your trips (many folks use them as a "virtual" frame for their frameless packs, especially among UL hikers), I would purchase a 3/4 length UQ. If not, then a full-length would probably be your best bet.

This temperature range will cover you for all of your stated trips in the area without supplementing. This will give you a bit of "weather man insurance" for when the forecast does something a little unexpected on most of your trips and cover the coldest ones you are going to go on, leaving your warm clothing as "weather man insurance" on those trips. Venting a top quilt at higher temperatures is very easy; simply kick out a leg or peel down the quilt over your shoulders. You'll feel cooler fairly quickly.

I would also purchase down. If you're getting your quilts soaked, you're screwed without good fire-building skills or a quick exit out of the woods anyway. Since you're not likely to be out in sub-freezing temperatures for weeks and weeks at a clip, your quilts won't suffer from slow moisture buildup (which is really the only reason, aside from initial investment cost, to choose synthetics over down) that can compromise their insulative value.

Hope it helps!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Just in general I would opt for a warmer underquilt than top quilt. In a hammock if you are going to get cold it will most likely be from below.
    I use a 20 full size underquilt and since it is pretty wide and comes up the sides, I need very little top coverage.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Thank you everyone for your advice. I believe I am going to keep my 20F and just save up the money to invest in a 20F. I really would like an underquilt that could be used as a topquilt — but that may be asking too much.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools